USING NON DC TRANSFORMER WITH DCC READY LOCOMOTIVES

Started by CapeCodRR, January 31, 2019, 09:08:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapeCodRR

I am running 3 independent layout, so don't need DCC locomotives. But will a "DCC Ready" or "DCC on board" locomotive run with a non-DCC transformer. There are some I like would like to buy if there is no compatibility problem.

ACY

Any DCC-Ready locomotive will run on analog DC without any compatibility issues since DCC-Ready locomotives do not have a decoder.
The same cannot be said for all DCC-Equipped or DCC On Board locomotives. Early decoders were not dual mode and even some recent sound decoders are not dual mode. All of Bachmann North America's latest product offerings in HO and N scale with DCC or DCC and sound with the possible exception of a couple locomotives are equipped with dual mode decoders. Dual mode decoders allow analog DC operation or digital operation (DCC), however they perform best when using a Digital Command Control System.

CapeCodRR

Thank you for your insight. Could you be more specific about the change in performance were I to go with a DCC Ready loco on a DC layout. Is it a risk I should avoid?

jward

DCC ready locomotives DO NOT have decoders, thus their performance on DC is normal.

DCC OnBoard locomotives do have a decoder. While it is possible to run them on dc, the electronics of the decoder will use up about 5-6-volts. This, they will run much slower than a dcc ready locomotive. Some will have a dummy plug in the box that will plug into the circuit board in place of the decoder. If yours has this plug, unplug the decoder and use the dummy plug, That will restore full performance in DC. In some,  the decoder is hardwired, and there is no dummy plug. Avoid these is you are running DC.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

As JWARD said, the decoder has a microprocessor that requires about five volts to just wake up. That is typical for the logic circuits. The loco then requires maybe two to three volts more to begin moving depending on the quality of loco and how many cars it may be pulling.

Rich