News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Steam engine tractive effort

Started by Trainman203, February 03, 2019, 04:08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

2-10-0 Decapod DCC with sound: with motor cv's set right, 12 40' freight cars up a 2%.
2-8-0 DCC with sound: about the same
4-4-0 Richmond/Baldwin DCC with sound: surpisingly still about the same.

WoundedBear

"About the same" Is that a scientific term?  ;D

Seriously, I like your idea, but we need video or it never happened. I need to do some testing and recording.

Sid

Hunt

Model Railroader Magazine includes Drawbar Pull test results in their Product Reviews.

Trainman203

Yes, but whose got all those old issues and going to dig them up?  The 4-6-0 and the decapod were reviewed at least 10 years ago and probably considerably more.

Let the scientists begin their reports.

baniaj2

I have a few to share:

Spectrum 2-8-0
per June 1998 MR
"45 free-rolling freight cars on straight level track"
drawbar pull 3 ounces

USRA 4-8-2 light
per Nov 1999
"30 cars on straight level track"
drawbar pull 2.2 ounces

USRA light 2-10-2
per August 2006
"52 free-rolling freight cars on straight, level track"
drawbar pull 3.7 ounces

USRA light 2-8-2
per February 2016
"30 free-rolling 40-foot box-cars on straight, level track"
drawbar pull 2.72 ounces

Need to dig up more, but figured that was a good start.

--Joe

RAM

Well the little engine that could.  60 some years ago when I lived in Kansas City, I knew a lot of men that worked for the railroads.   This one man was telling me about a trip from Topeka to KC.  They had a 4-8-2 just out of the shops, and a 4-4-2.  37 cars not much a a train for a 4-8-2.  The 4-8-2 started to run hot and they had to set it out.  It is mainly a down hill run, but he dropped a note off to an operator to tell the operator at Holliday that if they had to stop they would need to send an engine out to get them.  They had a green light at Holiday and some how made it into the yards.

Trainman203

I heard a story years ago about one of the the huge modern mogul-sized 4-4-0s on the T&NO pulling around 75 empty gons on level Gulf Coast track.

nfmisso

Quote from: Trainman203 on February 03, 2019, 10:53:05 PM
Yes, but whose got all those old issues ....

The DVD is a lot easier to get the old issue information from, no paper to deal with, and it is indexed....