News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Continuous Chuff on the Big Hauler V3

Started by Rluke, February 13, 2019, 11:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rluke

We had two Big Hauler locomotives donated.  One has a V3 and the other a V5 chassis.  The V3 has a continuous chuff randomly when it stops. The V5 Big Hauler does not have that feature.  That leads me to a few questions.
Was that an intentional feature that simulates the sound of steam being released ?   Or was it an error that Bachmann corrected in the later versions? And how did they change it?   Seemed like a nice feature to me.

Thanks
Rich

Loco Bill Canelos

The continuous chuff can happen with all versions.  When the locomotive stops sometimes the brass wiper stops on one of the triggers on the sensor drum causing the continuous chuff.  On the version five my experience is that it does not happen as much  as with other versions.  There were changes made in the sound card over the years, but I never documented the changes such as the addition of the volume control.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Rluke

I ran them both on a back and forth track for about an hour each.  The V3 Locomotive would continually chuff about every third or forth stop but the V5 locomotive did not do it at all.  The volume control was a nice addition to the V5.

thanks
Rich

RkyGriz

I second that on the volume control knob! I make it a point to make sure that the tender of every Big Hauler I buy has that knob on it. I think they sound better,too.
Andrew

Dr Who 12

hi all

Theirs a Big Hauler tips article on the web by George W. Schreyer, one of the tips is Better Bachmann Sound For Under A Buck. He discusses how to eliminate the continuous chuff from the Big Hauler sound system along with other upgrades.

I have been in the process of using these upgrades on all of my Big Hauler locos with much success.

Later
Dr Who12