News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2019 Official Announcements

Started by InsideTrack, February 15, 2019, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheeky_ULP

Just because one business has a good relation with Mattel does not mean another business does as well. There's already undeniable evidence that a price increase occured after Mattel acquired the brand. Mattels company is objectively sinking, and this has been publicly disclosed in the news everywhere lately. There's no reason to feel the need to defend a company that can barely hold itself together financially.

Streak

Quote from: rjmets41 on February 25, 2019, 08:25:47 PM
I just listened to an interview with Lionel's head of traditional scale product, which includes the Thomas and Friends line. Now although Lionel does more "toy-like" models than Bachmann's more realistic models, she claims that Mattel and they have a great relationship. She added that Mattel has given them suggestions on what to make but did not exactly tell them what to make. Last point here, they are also looking to expand the line past the four main characters now.

Don't assume that everything is Mattel's fault. There are more factors that go into producing Thomas and Friends models than just what Mattel says and its unfair to both Bachmann and Mattel to say such things.

Dude, I made this exact argument a month ago. I didn't know what the heck I was talking about and I got blasted as a result. Just backtrack while you still can. These guys know so much more about this sort of thing than either of us do.

Plow_Bender

Well before the month is over I wanted to get my thoughts out there on the 2019 announcements.  I was kind of holding off till the catalog came out, but everyday life got in the way after that.  Anyways, this is my thoughts on what we got this year.

Let's start with the HO range.  I'll be honest and say that the fact we didn't get a new tooling this year is in no way a surprise.  I'd say the biggest positive here is the fact that the flatcar has made a comeback, and this time with a more desirable load at that.  Considering the demand for it, it's nice to see Bachmann has taken into consideration that this was a piece collectors really wanted to see return to the range.  It's also nice to see that Rosie's livery was updated, but still doesn't take away from the fact that she's just a recolor (just like everything else the past how many years) and no I don't consider the addition of a lamp to change that fact.

On another note, the Mining Wagon, Sodor Coal Co. Wagon, and Sodor Scrap Co. Wagons are a nonevent in my books.  2 of them just seem like a waste with the already exiting Coal Wagon in the range, and that being the case leaves the scrap wagon as probably the most desirable out of the 3, but not by much.  The Mining Wagon's design was obviously a push by Mattel, as it is the same mediocre logo we saw on the Trackmaster rolling stock in later years.  Really there we're far better options for rolling stock recolors, but this was the best we could get.  I wouldn't go as far as to say Bachmann has overused classic rolling stock, as there's far more simpler and desirable pieces they could do, and if that statement causes backlash then so be it.

Lastly there's the new Thomas' Christmas Delivery set, which in my opinion is a downgrade from what preceded it.  I'll agree that the color choices are a turn off in my books, but my biggest complaint is the price you pay for a set which now has 1 less wagon.  Personally I would have been fine with this if they went with using the flatbed (now log car) with a Christmas tree, but that's only because it's a larger piece of rolling stock.  Yes people want to argue that the set contains the discontinued RF Container Wagon, but who in their right mind would go out and pay $239 for a set just to rob one piece out of it?  On second thought, no one answer that...

So overall the only real positive side to the HO announcements is the Sodor Logging Company Flat Wagon with Logs, and Red Rosie comes in at a close second in my books.  As for everything else, I'm hanging a white ribbon and calling it a day.  New tooling's (especially engine characters) for the range have a slim to none chance at this point and (I've said this once before) that ship has sailed and sank too.  I know the whole Stepney and Daisy topic is a must for some of you, but it's time to start thinking realistically.  This is the point in my post where I'd say Bachmann should focus their attention on Narrow Gauge instead, but I think you all know why I'm not going to say that... :P

Moving onto the N scale range,  I do see potential in this, but not to the extent people are making it out to be, which I'll cover in a bit.  The simple addition of just a couple engines and rolling stock is a great way to start the range off, even if some say James should have been in the lineup as well.  As others have pointed out though, it is odd to not see a starter set, but at the same time I think this may have to do with the fact that starter sets seem to be a dying trend in the range.  I only say this because HO is now down to only a 3 sets, when once it had over twice that amount.  Still a simple set with Thomas, Annie, and Clarabel would be something for Bachmann to consider in the future.

As a mentioned earlier, I think some are getting a little too ambitious with the N scale range, when honestly it could end up in the same state as HO.  When also considering the range just started, I wouldn't be getting hopes up for characters like Gordon, Henry, Rebecca, Spencer, Hiro, etc just yet.  I will say that depending on how the range does (in addition to other factors), I could see Bachmann acquiring the O Gauge rights someday if their competitors ever decide to fork them over.  So while it was a range that wasn't in high demand, it does open up the door for people who can't afford and/or don't have the space required for the larger scales, but at the same time is nothing to write home about.

Although Narrow Gauge and Large Scale got the short end of the stick this year, I think some honorable mentions are in order nonetheless.  I'm not going to lie, Narrow Gauge was honestly the only range I had hopes for at this point, but after seeing the 2019 announcements, I'm starting to have second thoughts.  Maybe the delay on Rusty and the Coaches is what held up new announcements for the range this year, or maybe it was the new N scale range.  Regardless I feel Narrow Gauge should have had priority over N scale, considering there was more of a market for that range.  I want to remain optimistic and think Narrow Gauge will be redeemed next year, but that little voice in the back of my mind says otherwise.

Sadly I feel Large Scale has reached the end of the line considering the last new engine was Toby back in 2013 and the last new tooling was back in 2015 with Winston and the Ice Cream Wagon.  As I mentioned in a previous post, Diesel would have been the saving grace for the range, but we all know what happened there.  Over time the announcements have just gotten worse, and I honestly thought at the least we'd get something simple like the Red Coaches or another Troublesome Truck.  Considering this is yet another year Large Scale gets nothing/nothing I want, I think I'll focus my attention on converting my James, Emily, and Toby (once I get him) to DCC and purchase a DCC system.

So my final thoughts on announcements this year is this.  The Sodor Logging Company Flat Wagon with Logs and Red Rosie are the top 2 announcements for HO and the N Scale range is a welcome addition, but I feel that's attention that should have been focused towards Narrow Gauge instead.  All I can say at this point is I'm pretty much done making predictions (or even suggestions) as announcements seem to be all over the place anymore and it's just not worth the time and effort I put into my posts.  So while these weren't the worst announcements we've gotten, I wouldn't go as far as to say I'm impressed with them either.  That being said, I'll end on that note.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Chaz

Thanks Griffin!  I was hoping I would get a chance to see Rusty upclose.  Hopefully he will be out soon so I can share my thoughts on him too.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Kemptown Branch

Wow, Rusty is really small. Even the slate wagons look kind of big next to him. That does make him slightly more accurate to Midlander (in size, at least), so no complaints from my end.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

TrainshockeylifE

Wow, the new rolling stock looks very good, red Rosie looks good too, and rusty looks phenomenal but where are the Narrow gauge coaches?

TerencetheTractor525

Rusty looks excellent! Can't wait to get my hands on one as well as the new flat car with logs.

And I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but since the narrow gauge coaches are still not ready to be shown, hopefully this means that they will in fact be made in two different toolings :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Ronniethe14xxx

Is anybody going to acknowledge the fact the scrap car has coal in it, that doesn't seem right.

Toad139

Quote from: Ronniethe14xxx on March 22, 2019, 03:16:33 PM
Is anybody going to acknowledge the fact the scrap car has coal in it, that doesn't seem right.

The coal wagon is also missing its coal load, so someone must have accidentally switched it. Just a simple mistake.

Ronniethe14xxx

Quote from: Toad139 on March 22, 2019, 04:04:55 PM

The coal wagon is also missing its coal load, so someone must have accidentally switched it. Just a simple mistake.
I didn't realize they were removable, are they?

Angelob6660

I can't wait for Rusty to come out since I ordered him two years ago. I wonder what they mean shipping this year. A date would been nice.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

MoarCrossovers

Quote from: Ronniethe14xxx on March 22, 2019, 04:09:35 PM

Is the green coal wagon's load removable?
Do u kno de Grate Westarn Wae?

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: MoarCrossovers on March 22, 2019, 06:03:05 PM
Quote from: Ronniethe14xxx on March 22, 2019, 04:09:35 PM

Is the green coal wagon's load removable?
Yes it is. Safe to say this is the same case, as the new wagons use the same coal load mold that the original coal wagon did.

JLK2707

That is just so cool to know! I also cannot wait to get red Rosie and rusty! :)