News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Any way to adjust speed?

Started by kenkrupa, February 15, 2019, 05:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenkrupa

For my first entry into DCC, I have purchased an Alco 2-6-0 (item 51812) and the E-Z Command Control Center. Pretty good, except that the starting speed is faster than I think it should be, and the next step produces a very noticeable (not gradual) increase in speed. Can this be adjusted (or reprogrammed) somehow?

Hunt

The Sound Value decoder installed in the locomotive has CVs that can be adjusted to improve low speed operation; however, these CVs cannot be adjusted using the E-Z Command Control Center. The E-Z Command Control Center is not capable of changing any user supplied CVs and operates it only in 28 speed speeds. 

rich1998

You will need to find someone with DCC system that can do this olr buy a better system.
If it is cost, NCE and Digitrax sell a DCC controller that will do it and not too expensive. Digitrax has one that can also run one DC loco. NCE cannot.
Good luck.

Rich

Trainman203

This will work for any sound value engine, and for Tsunami before series 2.

1.  Get engine on a track controlled by a system that can change cv settings (no EZ Command)
2.  Set cv 2 (starting voltage), 3 and 4 (momentum), 209 and 210 (motor control) to 0.
3.  Set throttle to step 1.  Engine won't move yet.
4.  Try gradually increasing cv 210 value until engine barely starts to move.  It will be jerky.
5.  Slowly increase cv 209 value until jerkiness smooths out.
6.  Set momentum values for smooth start and stop.  I like cv3=100 and cv 4=50 but you may want more or less, experiment.

At this point that baby ought to start and stop silky smooth and crawl like an ant.

If things get catawampus you can always reset with cv8=8 plus track power interupption.

Trainman203

If you are becoming concerned with engine performance as you appear to be, do not delay in upgrading your DCC system beyond EZ Command.  It's great  for train sets as intended but not much else.  I spent a year with EZ Command , went to a better system, wondered why I had waited so long, and never looked back.

Once you advance there is so much more you can do, such as correct the chuff timing, select a different whistle, adjust the sound volumes to a realistic balance, and that's just with sound Value.  More advanced decoders offer worlds of opportunity you will discover and enjoy.

kenkrupa

Thank you Rich and Trainman. I wish I knew this before diving in. Wasted money on the EZ Command thing, and just ordered a Digitrax - after living with the EZ for less than two months. Looking forward to getting real now.

Trainman203

You can use the EZ Command to power secondary stuff like layout lighting and switch machines.  Or use it for a small traveling layout/module.  Or you can give it to a kid with no money, like I did with mine.

rich1998

Quote from: kenkrupa on February 28, 2019, 08:08:45 PM
Thank you Rich and Trainman. I wish I knew this before diving in. Wasted money on the EZ Command thing, and just ordered a Digitrax - after living with the EZ for less than two months. Looking forward to getting real now.

Too late now but it is in the online manual which most do not read first, I am sorry to say but it can be used as was said.
My firsdt system was a MRC2K and did about the same. I gave it away and bought the NCE Power Cab.

Rich

Joe323

Anyone wanr a slightly used EZ Command.  I did the same

WoundedBear

I use mine to power my desktop test track for doing decoder installs.

Once I'm sure the basic functions work, it gets put on my layout for programming with a real DCC setup.

Sid

jward

I did the research before I bought my first system. I still have it, and liked it enough to by a second, upgraded version of the same system. And both of them are fully compatavle with all the other products that  company sells.

That is my biggest objection to the stripped down entry level systems. For what you pay for them they don't do much. And they're usually not upgradable, or compatable with the full featured ones. By checquing the MSRP on them, you only "save" $20-40 over something that will grow with you. When you figure in the costs of replacing a dead end system you've outgrown, the cheaper option costs much more in the long run.

it pays to understand what you're getting for your money before you buy.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Yes, research is always a really good thing.  Model railroading seems to be a cumulatively acquired body of knowledge in many cases though, with many people repetitively  making the same predictable mistakes.

That in itself is probably worth a very productive thread.

rich1998

Though, my MRC2K had five throttles and could run one DC loco, it was still not quite as good as the EZ Command is why I gave it away.

Rich