News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Paint

Started by JimX, February 15, 2019, 06:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimX

I have several Bachmann Spectrum passenger cars in On30, lettered for the Colorado & Southern. I would like to paint out the numbers on some of them, so I can change them to have a variety of car numbers.

I am also building new sides for one of the cars, to make an RPO-Baggage car.

Is there an acrylic paint that comes close to matching the color of these C&S passenger cars?

p51

-Lee

JimX

Thanks. I have some such solvent, and I have done this on other models. But it has frequently caused a bit of fading in the nearby paint. I'd like to be able to touch it up. So I was looking g for some paint before I used the solvent.

Besides, if I construct some new sides for an RPO-Baggage, I'll need to paint them.

Any ideas on paint color?

the Bach-man

Dear Jim,
Try Krylon Hunter Green.
I don't have a C&S set handy, but that might be what I used for the prototypes.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

hminky

Did this:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/passenger_car_lettering/

Easiest way on passenger cars.

Thank you if you visit
Harold

dutchbuilder

I use a small brush and brake fluid.

Ton

jkemp

2nd vote for ELO. 

amazing how well this product worked for me.

JimX

Thanks p51, hminsky, dutchbuilder, and jkemp. I used the Solvaset method and it worked fine for the first project, to renumber a coach.

JimX

I have another project. This one really needs the paint. I have cut out the sides of a passenger car, and am working on new sides to make the car an RPO-Baggage combine (#13 on the Colorado & Southern). I need to paint those new sides.

Bach-Man, I got 2 different spray cans of Krylon Hunter Green-- plus a small jar of Krylon brush-on Hunter Green. All of them are much too bright to match the color of the C&S passenger cars from Bachmann. I have tried Hunter green acrylics from 4 other manufacturers. They, too, are the same too-bright green.

Do you have another recommendation? I'd appreciate any leads you might have. Many thanks.

the Bach-man

Hi, Jim,
It looks like Floquil Pullman Green.
It may be a problem finding new stock as it
is no longer made...
Good Luck!
the Bach-man

WoundedBear

Have a look at this color replacement chart for the old Flo-Quil line.

https://www.microscale.com/Floquil%20Color%20Chart.pdf

Sid