Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2020

Started by TerencetheTractor525, February 16, 2019, 09:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainCollector

Hey guys I just got back from the York Train show yesterday and I spoke with a few of the people who work for Bachmann. I gave them a few ideas and they loved them so much they said they would bring it up to Doug Blane the Vice President of sales for Bachmann Trains. Two of the ideas I came up with have already been discussed on the forum. Green Thomas and Black James for recolors. I however did something a little different and told them about the Thomas Wooden Railway limited edition James Goes Buzz Buzz and Thomas comes to Breakfast. I thought why doesn't Bachmann make a James Goes Buzz Buzz? Yes I know it's definetly a long shot but it would be something very easy for Bachmann to do. I mean all they would have to do is to add Bee sticker decals on the boiler give James a new face and paint the nose red. It's simple and I think it would be a fun addition to the line. I know some may hate the idea of that but I just wanted to throw that out there. Now a more reasonable repaint. Silver Spencer. I mentioned at the booth that Spencer was still that grey-blue color when ever since the CGI series, Spencer has been rereleased with that metallic silver color in nearly every bit of merchandise. I was told to mention this to Insidetrack if he or she is listening. This is definitely a much better opportunity to increase sales and also make customers happy. I hope Doug Blane and Insidetrack are watching this because the guys told me at York to post this here in the forum. Anyways hope you guys like my idea. Please don't judge by the James Goes Buzz Buzz idea. I just thought I'd put it out there.

Chaz

I think at this point, re-colors are probably all I would expect from Bachmann when it comes to new additions in HO and large scale.  They are probably going to focus more on adding new toolings for N scale and narrow gauge for the time being anyway.

I think Silver Spencer seems to be the most likely out of the recolors that you mentioned, and I think they could end up going that route and eventually discontinuing the current Spencer model as a result.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Cheeky_ULP

I've said it before, but they can do as many gimmicky items or repaints as they want, as long as we get an actual new engine every so-often. Repaints and gimmick items are easy to do, this is true, but the market is also limited. Not many people are going to pay $80.00-$120.00 for, say... A James with bees on him, a Percy covered in chocolate, or a Thomas in Indian decorations (just random examples). I reckon repaints like those will sell about as well as the Celebration Thomas did, which from what I can tell, seems to be a peg-warmer.

Just because an item is easy to do, doesn't mean the markets there.

That said, I think Bachmanns best bet for a repaint engine or two in the near future would be the LBSC Thomas and Black James. Anything else, I feel, would be a stretch.

TrainCollector

Right I see your point but Silver Spencer can't be that much of a stretch. I mean that would sell pretty good

TerencetheTractor525

I'm with Cheeky ULP. I mean, 2020 is Thomas' 75th Anniversary, so it would be the best time to announce a newly tooled HO engine to commemorate the anniversary and wow Thomas fans. I am still on board with Stepney or Daisy, as I know that both would sell extremely well, but I could actually see Stanley having a fair shot too. Announcing one of them along with the Green LBSC Thomas would be excellent (just as Oliver was announced with the Celebration Thomas in 2015). In the years after 2020, I could see Bachmann announcing more repaints such as Sidney, Silver Spencer, and Scrap Oliver.

Hence, with resin buildings now out too, my current HO predictions list is the following:

Stepney, Daisy, or Stanley
Green LBSC Thomas
Troublesome Truck #6
Flat Wagon with Pipes

I'll openly ask to everyone, does announcing three new toolings (ex. HO Scale Stepney, Narrow Gauge Peter Sam, and N Scale James) sound unreasonable for 2020 (even if it is Thomas' 75th Anniversary, and all three of these sell extremely well)?
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

Kemptown Branch

I don't think it sounds completely unreasonable, considering 2016 when Rosie, Rheneas, the slate wagons, Oliver, and the large scale box vans all had to be done, not to mention the Sound decoders. However, considering the slower runs with Bachmann in recent years, and that they said the new N scale line won't be out until 2020, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't announce anything new for the N scale line. I still feel like it's a little too early to tell what could happen next year since, barring N scale, we only have the new HO scale repaints, Rusty, and the narrow gauge coaches to wait for. Depending on how early all of these get released, what could happen next year would vary quite a lot.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Chaz

Considering that those would be for individual ranges I say that is a completely reasonable assumption.  In 2015 we had four new tooling announcements (not including the resin buildings or the square water tower) which were Oliver for HO, Skarloey for the start of the new NG line, and the large scale Winston and ice cream wagon during the 70th anniversary.

If we get new toolings next year, the most I could see us getting would be Peter Sam and brake vans for narrow gauge along with an N scale James.  Maybe we could get a new HO engine tooling next year as a surprise for 2020 but I won't hold my breath on that one.  

Trainman2001 also does bring up a good point that they could announce nothing for N scale and that is entirely possible considering how narrow gauge got no announcements this year with Rusty and the coaches being held back.  That being said, I would imagine they at least have plans for James and possibly a Thomas starter set for N scale to help people get into the new range so it's possible we might only get those and then the following year we would only get rolling stock announcements like tankers and wagon recolors.  

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: TrainCollector on April 14, 2019, 11:34:16 PM
Right I see your point but Silver Spencer can't be that much of a stretch. I mean that would sell pretty good
I didn't include Silver Spencer because I feel like that's a different category. That should be less of a limited edition, and more just an update to his normal model, in a similar way they fixed up James. It all depends however, on how big of a seller Spencer currently is.

JLK2707

Yeah. Maybe troublesome truck 6 can just be a tar tanker wagon!:)

Rodimus Supreme

My predictions (question marks indicate possibilities I'm not sure about):

HO Scale:

Engines:
(Any combination of two of these, if two are made):

-Stepney.
-Daisy.
-Sidney.
-LBSC Thomas.
-Black James.

Rolling Stock:

-Red Express Composite Coach.
-Red Express Brake Coach.
-Troublesome Truck #6 (Brown or orange Ice Cream Van mold with a face).
-Explosives Van(?)
-Flat Bed with Pipes/rails/(?)

If vehicles, Trevor or Bulgy would be nice, heck, even Jack would be neat.

If resin buildings, probably another station like Farquhar Station or Wellsworth Station.

Narrow Gauge:

Engines:

-Peter Sam OR Sir Handel.

Rolling Stock:

-Brake Van - Brown.

Large Scale (if anything):

Rolling Stock:

-Red Branch Line Composite Coach.
-Red Branch Line Brake Coach.

N Scale:

Engines:

-James.
-Edward(?)

Rolling Stock:

-Red Branch Line Composite Coach.
-Red Branch Line Brake Coach.
-Troublesome Truck #3(?)

TTL

The only new tooling I expect to be announced next year is a NG engine, Peter Sam seems the obvious choice, and maybe some NG rolling stock, maybe. MAYBE a new HO tooling but Unlikely. The only new N announcement I could see is a set or two, cause not having a starter set for an entire new range? I'm sorry, but that's stupid.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Chaz

I have a feeling that as production goes on for the new N scale models, they will probably announce a Thomas starter set for 2020.  They don't even need to announce a Percy set, just a standard oval of track with Thomas with Annie and Clarabel should do the job by helping people collect the new range.

On that note, I'm still surprised Bachmann never announced a starter set for the narrow gauge range.  Maybe that will change if Bachmann has plans to announce more rolling stock for that range (like brake vans) and it would be as simple as having it be an oval of track with Skarloey, two wagons and a brake van.

rjmets41

Quote from: Chaz on April 17, 2019, 02:17:57 AM
I have a feeling that as production goes on for the new N scale models, they will probably announce a Thomas starter set for 2020.  They don't even need to announce a Percy set, just a standard oval of track with Thomas with Annie and Clarabel should do the job by helping people collect the new range.

On that note, I'm still surprised Bachmann never announced a starter set for the narrow gauge range.  Maybe that will change if Bachmann has plans to announce more rolling stock for that range (like brake vans) and it would be as simple as having it be an oval of track with Skarloey, two wagons and a brake van.

That is what I am holding out for. I would really like to get some narrow gauge stuff, but it is not worth it needed to buy the track and trucks too.

Kemptown Branch

I suppose I should get my predictions in before it's too late.

HO Scale:
As much as I would like to see Stepney, it doesn't seem like we are going to get more new toolings for HO scale at this point in time. Maybe if the brand gets taken over by someone other than Mattel, I could see that changing, but Mattel currently doesn't seem to care that Bachmann is supposed to be more realistic than Trackmaster or Wood (I'm looking at the Sodor Mining Co. Wagon and Live Lobsters Wagons specifically). With that said, I will post what I think will happen next year.

-LBSC Thomas
-Black James

I am going to say now that Mattel should stop pushing the pointless wagon recolors from Bachmann. They just don't fit the theme of the range well and those resources could be used in other areas instead. There are also currently 42 pieces of rolling stock in the range, 11 of which are recolors from the toy lines that we just never really needed. People probably aren't even going to collect all of them anyways, especially since there are still quite a few wagons that have actually been in the show. If we absolutely have to have a wagon recolor next year, I suggest a Celebration Coach, keeping with the 75th Anniversary theme and maybe being a Red Coach recolor with banners or something on the side with a 75th Anniversary logo. Then the recolors can stop there. We don't need almost a third of the rolling stock being stuff from the toy lines that don't fit with the appearance of the range or what the range is supposed to be.

Narrow Gauge:
I know that the rolling stock recolors aren't that expensive for bachmann to produce, but without the added cost of those announcements, maybe they would be just enough for them to squeeze in two new engines rather than one next year, especially since the range is so popular. Also, this year there have been a few limited edition items released in Bachmann's normal range, which are no doubt going to be popular since they are tied to the Golden Spike. Maybe these items will be enough to subsidize Bachmann's normal ranges next year, leaving more funds for the Thomas range (yes, I know this is wishful thinking). With that said, here are my thoughts.

-Peter Sam
-Sir Handel

Narrow gauge modelers have been asking for both of these engines almost equally because of all of the different real engines they could be turned into. Done correctly (which is almost no effort other than rivets for both), they will both be extremely accurate to their bases, and they will have even more appeal to modelers than Skarloey and Rheneas. These two could easily be freelance industrial locomotives, visitors to other lines, the Corris Railway could easily be modeled for the first time. They also have several variations within the Thomas universe as well, which some people will probably model.

-Brake Vans (Red, Blue, and Brown)

I think that brake vans could also possibly happen in 2020, however that entirely depends on when the Blue and Red Carriages get released, and if Bachmann can do this many new toolings for the Thomas range this year. Although, even if they can't do brake vans this year, they could probably do them in 2021, and there are alternatives in the meantime. Elsbridge Productions has made 3D printed ones, and Peco have 3 different types of brake vans on the way, so we could get some place holders until Bachmann can announce some.

N Scale:
Bachmann themselves confirmed that the new range will not be out before 2020 in their TCA Spring video. I think that they may produce a starter set with Thomas, Annie and Clarabel, but I wouldn't be surprised if this range is otherwise left untouched for this year.

Large Scale:
I feel like the Large Scale modelers deserve something nice, since they haven't gotten anything for a long time. Maybe a new engine is possible next year, since nothing was announced.

-Mavis

She would be fairly easy for Bachmann to produce, sharing the same chassis design as Toby, after all. She also seems to be somewhat popular as well, considering she is the third engine to get a Day Out with Thomas model. However, Plow Bender has brought up several good points about why both a new engine and a diesel wouldn't get as good of sales as we would hope for, and considering Bachmann Large Scale in general has been thinned out considerably over the last few years, I could see why a new engine couldn't be made.

-Red Coach
-Red Brake Coach

People have been hoping for them to make these in large scale for years, and they are really popular in HO, so they could be really popular in Large Scale too. It also wouldn't be that difficult for Bachmann to make these.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Rodimus Supreme

I'm gonna narrow down my list of engines Bachmann could make. I had thought that Black James would have a better possibility than LBSC Thomas, considering he has a history and LBSC Thomas was only created for The Adventure Begins, But now I'm thinking that Bachmann could possibly want to do a new mold for the 75th Anniversary, so if they did I think I'll put my money on LBSC Thomas for a repaint alongside Stepney as a new mold.