Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2020

Started by TerencetheTractor525, February 16, 2019, 09:13:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

Guys, Mattel owns Thomas and Friends, it should be almost a given if not expected that they have an impact on what gets announced and what doesn't.  Even if Bachmann announces products that come through the request of fans they still have to go by Mattel because they own the Thomas and Friends brand.  This applies to both engines, rolling stock and any other accessories or sets they produce.  Someone argued the opposite before last year and it baffles me that some people act like Mattel doesn't have as much influence on Bachmann, when it's almost obvious that they do.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: Rodimus Supreme on January 29, 2020, 12:05:48 PM
Mattel owns the brand, they control everything. If Bachmann was given free reign to do whatever they wanted with the rolling stock, we wouldn't be getting these lazy, mediocre/outright ugly repaints. I have no idea where you guys are getting that Mattel doesn't/can't tell Bachmann what to do with the rolling stock, but they can with the engines.  ???

I think what STL meant was that it doesn't matter if the rolling stock is made to prototype specs or not, but, since a locomotive's appearance/proportions (like Rusty) would change a lot going off of the prototype compared to the character, Mattel is more likely to ask Bachmann to make the locomotive based off of how the character looks in the show.

Quote from: Ronniethe14xxx on January 29, 2020, 03:28:10 PM
Mattel owns the brand, they control everything. If Bachmann was given free reign to do whatever they wanted with the rolling stock, we wouldn't be getting these lazy, mediocre/outright ugly repaints. I have no idea where you guys are getting that Mattel doesn't/can't tell Bachmann what to do with the rolling stock, but they can with the engines.  ???
Pretty sure most of the repaints where Bachmann's decisions to get the most out of the molds and not Mattel's? Why would Mattel request things like the Water tanker, the scrap wagon, the logging flatbed, etc. Just doesn't make much sense really. Obviously Mattel does have some influence, but I don't think blaming them for the repaints, or at least most of them, is the right call.

A lot of the new recolors in the Bachmann line came after they showed up in Mattel's other ranges, so that's why a lot of us are sure Mattel makes those decisions.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

TTL

Mattel owns the brand, they control everything. If Bachmann was given free reign to do whatever they wanted with the rolling stock, we wouldn't be getting these lazy, mediocre/outright ugly repaints. I have no idea where you guys are getting that Mattel doesn't/can't tell Bachmann what to do with the rolling stock, but they can with the engines.  ???
I said Bachmann has more free reign with the NG rolling stock, as has been clearly shown. They're smart enough to make things like the coaches and slate wagons accurate to their Talyllyn prototypes cause unlike the engines, which were commissioned by Mattel to be made, Mattel doesn't have much control over that given how the license works. That's why they're currently selling those TR slate wagons made for the TTTE NG range in 3 packs under their 009 range in the UK
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

really called Thomas

Yep... the blue and red carriages looked too awesome to resist, so Ive caved in and moved into Narrow Gauge!! Hoping Peter Sam will put in an appearance in time for Xmas.

So what I would like to get announced this year is:

1 loco (Sir Handel/Duncan - dont mind which as long as the other is announced in the next wave)
3 rolling stock (D Fusit Wagon, Brake Vans in two colours; I can wait another year for green carriages)

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Ronniethe14xxx on January 29, 2020, 03:28:10 PM
Pretty sure most of the repaints where Bachmann's decisions to get the most out of the molds and not Mattel's? Why would Mattel request things like the Water tanker, the scrap wagon, the logging flatbed, etc. Just doesn't make much sense really. Obviously Mattel does have some influence, but I don't think blaming them for the repaints, or at least most of them, is the right call.
because Bachmann brought those to Mattel first? And Mattel okayed it because Bachmann was able to convince them they'd sell? After dealing with Mattel back when they still had the license to produce DC Comics collectible figures, I and many others can tell you that Mattel is tone deaf towards demand and doesn't care what is being said, they will do things that are the exact opposite of what the buyers want. Mattel is more at fault for things than people think.

Quote from: Chaz on January 29, 2020, 04:53:28 PM
Guys, Mattel owns Thomas and Friends, it should be almost a given if not expected that they have an impact on what gets announced and what doesn't.  Even if Bachmann announces products that come through the request of fans they still have to go by Mattel because they own the Thomas and Friends brand.  This applies to both engines, rolling stock and any other accessories or sets they produce.  Someone argued the opposite before last year and it baffles me that some people act like Mattel doesn't have as much influence on Bachmann, when it's almost obvious that they do.
Exactly. Why people can learn the information we have about how this process works and then turn around and say the opposite is beyond me. Bachmann knows good and well that their buyers are mostly if not completely people who, to some extent, grew up on the model series. Making random repaints of rolling stock that no one asked for isn't what they'd do, but it is what Mattel would do. Bachmann knows what their consumer base wants.

Another thing to consider: Honestly, kids aren't going to notice the difference in the face designs, I know none of us really noticed or cared back during the Model Series era that the promotional art and generic designs used for different types of merchandise had face designs that didn't match the show. Heck, the show wasn't 100% exact to the Railway Series either. Changing Model faces to CGI faces isn't necessary, and from what I've seen, most people either don't want that change, or they aren't bothered by a change like that not happening. Bachmann knows that they could make more Model Series product, and keep the Model Era faces, and the stock would sell insanely well. Mattel just doesn't see that.

Honestly, I WISH there were a Mattel Representative on these boards, as I'd like to explain to someone with influence that the buyers don't want a lot of the things they tell Bachmann they want made and why certain things just don't sell.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Kemptown Branch

Awesome! Looks like they finally got Thomas' wheels right!
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

TerencetheTractor525

Considering that it is now February, here is the final list of what I would like and expect to see announced in February 2020. I could certainly see some of these getting pushed to the 2020 NMRA Convention in July as well.

HO Scale
Stepney (with moving eyes)
LBSC Green Thomas (with moving eyes)
Trevor or Bulgy (if Stepney does not work out)
Tar Tanker
Red Express Coach
Red Express Brake Coach

Narrow Gauge
Red Guard's Van
Blue Guard's Van
Brown Guard's Van

N Scale
James
Various Rolling Stock
Thomas with Annie and Clarabel Train Set

Large Scale
LBSC Green Thomas (with moving eyes)
Troublesome Van

Fingers crossed! It is Thomas' 75th Anniversary after all :).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

JLK2707

I wonder if they would just make Henry in his original shape for the 75th anniversary....

Chaz

Well now that we less than a month away, time for some final thoughts (even though I can't say I expect much I would love to be surprised):

HO:
LBSC green Thomas
Red express coaches

Probably more pointless recolored rolling stock will join the range as well.  Unfortunately it's a given, but if I want to have some preference it would be great to see the single vent van tooling reused again, instead of just the ice cream wagon.

Narrow gauge:
Brake vans - blue, red and brown

N scale:
Thomas starter set

Large scale:
James Toby and Emily with DCC and sound

Not exactly the biggest list out there but that's also because the N scale range isn't out yet and we have Daisy and Peter Sam to look forward to as well.  Once they are out I'm more than willing to bet on more engines joining the range then like Stepney, Sir Handel, black James, and even an N scale James with additional N scale rolling stock.

steakandcake

I'm not a big fan of making prediction lists but there's one thing I'd really like to see

HO Scale:

Dynamite Van

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Here's my predictions (assuming that email we saw saying that nothing was being announced in February was not true...)

HO
Metallic Green LBSC Thomas (75th Anniversary box art)
Explosives Van

Narrow Gauge
D. Fusit Gunpowder Wagon
Brakevan

N Scale
James

G Scale
Henrietta
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

Rodimus Supreme

I just realized something. N Scale Thomas, Percy, Troublesome Truck #1, and Troublesome Truck #2 were all on display and in full color, but N Scale Annie and Clarabel were not. Maybe Bachmann also realizes that they were WAY to big, and are redesigning them to be properly scaled? I sure hope so.

Chaz

My feeling with Annie and Clarabel is that they were on display but whoever was there did not get a chance to record them.  They were probably behind Thomas like how the trucks were behind Percy.  If you look at the picture of Thomas on display you can see part of another Bachmann sign.  Personally I think that might have been the sign for the two coaches.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Chaz on February 01, 2020, 03:18:59 PM
My feeling with Annie and Clarabel is that they were on display but whoever was there did not get a chance to record them.  They were probably behind Thomas like how the trucks were behind Percy.  If you look at the picture of Thomas on display you can see part of another Bachmann sign.  Personally I think that might have been the sign for the two coaches.
Then why did the guy that took this video not show them? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGg7k3egXhM