News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speed Matching

Started by Yankeepop, February 16, 2019, 02:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yankeepop

I just received my F2A unit back from Bachmann Service.  The entire frame was replaced and runs great. Before sending the F2A in for repair both my F2A and F2B ran at the same speed and both set to the same address.  Now my F2B runs faster then then the F2A.  Can I resit the F2B to match F2A to the same address?

Hunt

Do you have Bachmann HO ALCO FA-2 and FB-2  Sound Value equipped locomotives?
If so,  read the value in CV29 for each locomotive - Does CV29=22 or CV29=6 ?

Hunt

Also Mel, what are you using to read and program DCC decoder  CVs?

Yankeepop

Our club uses JMRI software. I'll be going there tomorrow and check the CV values.

Yankeepop

Yes!  Bachmann HO ALCO FA-2 and FB-2  Sound Value equipped locomotives.

Hunt

Quote from: Yankeepop on February 20, 2019, 04:38:19 PM
Our club uses JMRI software. I'll be going there tomorrow and check the CV values.

JMRI DecoderPro is just a programming interface to a DCC system,  it does no programming - the DCC command station does the programming.

What DCC system is the club using?

You don't have a DCC system at home and run your locomotives only at the club?

No one at the club has the necessary knowledge of Sound Value decoder to show you what is available in the decoder and help you speed match your locomotives?

Yankeepop

Hunt,

Our club runs Digitrax DCC.  I don't have a home layout, maybe in the future. 

I put the F2A and F2B on our programming track.  Both CV29's = 6. The guys at the club said there is only a slight difference in speeds and not to worry about it.  So I won't worry about it.

Thanks for your advice!

Mel

Trainman203

You can slow it down by manipulating cv 210 and 209.  Ought to do it with both engines anyway for better slow speed performance.  Your club guys ought to know how to do that.

Hunt

CV 209, Kp Coefficient  and   CV 210, Ki Coefficient are two of the four CVs associated with the decoder's load compensation feature.  They are not intended thus a very poor choice to be used for speed matching locomotives.

Trainman203

So what is the better choice?

Len

If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

I run steam only .  I don't need to know anything about speed matching or "consisting ". Whenever I run a double header or a helper, it's on a separate throttle with a second engineer if possible.  Man.  You haven't had model railroading fun until you get a long heavy freight over a grade with two separately run engines.  Imagine the days before radio how a rear end helper in particular coordinated with the head end.

Another model railroad fun thing.  A "sawby".  I do that all the time.  Anyone else here do it?  A sawby gone bad was what killed Casey Jones.