News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Speed of new Thunder Valley N scale set

Started by fmfls, February 18, 2019, 11:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fmfls

My new out of the box thunder valley N scale train set appears to be running slower than I expected.  I am not sure if it is fine or just how it is with N scale.  Does anyone have an idea of how long it should take to make a 24 inch loop.  Of course the 24 inch loop is what comes with the set.

rich1998

Hunt

If your locomotive travels the 24 inches in about 3.25 seconds - that would be close to the 65 MPH top speed of the GP40 prototype. Less than 3.0  seconds - turn down the throttle when running the locomotive

3.25 sec = 67.1 scale MPH
3.00 sec = 72.7 scale MPH

4.00 sec = 54.5 scale MPH or slower is good running speed

Hunt

Quote from: Hunt on February 18, 2019, 01:33:14 PM
If your locomotive travels the 24 inches in about 3.25 seconds - that would be close to the 65 MPH top speed of the GP40 prototype. Less than 3.0  seconds - turn down the throttle when running the locomotive

3.25 sec = 67.1 scale MPH
3.00 sec = 72.7 scale MPH

4.00 sec = 54.5 scale MPH or slower is good running speed

fmfls

Realize - easier to time travel around the circle than marking off 24"  to use.

The circumference of a  circle with 11.25" radius is 70.65"
C = 2 pi R
Pi = 3.14
R = 11.25
C= 2*3.14*11.25 = 70.65

Thus distance of travel around the circle of track is 70.65 inches

Time to travel around the circle of track 
9.25 seconds = 69.4 scale MPH
11.50 seconds = 55.8 scale MPH or slower is good running speed

fmfls

Thanks for the responses.  It looks like the speed of the locomotive is OK.  I was just expecting it to almost fly off the track at full throttle.  Good memories of HO race cars.  I am looking foreword to expanding, Happy Modeling!

lilleyen

Most, if not all new locos require a few hours of running in at various speeds and directions before they will operate at optimum speeds, both fast and slow.
It's sort of a breaking in thing.  ;)

fmfls

Thanks lilleyen I am happy to hear that.  I have read that but necessarily did not want to believe it.  I am glad you confirmed it. My locomotive has very little running time on it and won't really get any until I complete my setup.  Before I received your response I bought a used loco and ran it on a simple oval and it was definitely faster than my new unit which made me a little more concerned.  I am looking foreword to getting some running time on it now and much relieved by your response.  Thanks!

spookshow

If it's the latest version of the GP40 (released last year) it will definitely speed up after some break-in time. The one I tested ran like a yard switcher out of the box, but after a few hours of roundy-rounding it eventually became quite the speed demon.

-Mark

plas man

the same loco in the McKinley Explorer not a speed machine , not as fast as the F9's in my  earlier set .
it should free the more its used,

fmfls

I appreciate all the positive feedback.  Thanks all!  Hey plas man any experience with the turnouts?  I bought a couple with my new set getting ready for expansion and the loco continually gets stuck at the frog.  The frog is now live but still does not work.  Been doing a lot of research on line but nothing seems conclusive other than there are a lot of issues with the Bachmann switches.

plas man

sorry fmfls can not help with the turn outs as I use track from a well known Japanese manufacture .
try ...
wheels out of gauge
is some kind of junk stuck in the frog
flash (plastic or metal) on a wheel set from manufacture
the hanging down bit on the coupler snagging on the turnout
is the bottom of the truck fully clipped in position (could be lifting the wheels when reach the frog)

the Kato switch's are noted for the blades not meeting flush with the track - causing derail when running on - ok when running opposite . It could be same with Bachmann as you say there is bad reports about them .

ST

fmfls

I will need to check all of those items.  it will be a good start.