Bachmann Anniversary Edition 4-6-0 Vs LGB 2-6-0 Mogul

Started by RkyGriz, February 14, 2019, 01:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

HI all! I'm not meaning to cause an argument, but I was wondering about your opinion of the Bachmann Anniversary Editions 4-6-0 quality and pulling power versus the LGB 2-6-0 Mogul. I just bought one on Ebay(my first) and I'm just curious as to how everybody feels about LGB. Also, does anybody know anything about installing a snow plow blade on the LGB?
Thanks guys!
Later!
Andrew

Mark Oles

This is risky topic for a Bachmann trains board.

LGB moguls have been around forever and most of the problems they have are well known and documented.  Generally, these are great engines.

The newest Bachmann anniversary locomotives have metal gears and better pilots than the circa 2000 anniversary, so you need to clarify a bit which Anniversary engine you mean.

In terms of scale to prototype, I suspect, but do not know for certain, that the Bachmann anniversary is closer to the prototype (ET&WNC Tweetsie 12) than the LGB 1884 Cooke model of a 2-6-0.

Bachmann parts are generally easy to work with and I find their service to be quick and efficient, but I do most repairs myself.

Digital sound is not offered by Bachmann so that comparison is not valid.

What else?

RkyGriz

I was thinking more along the lines of durability and pulling power. Sound is not very important to me. My Spectrum 4-4-0 came with a Phoenix sound card, and I mostly leave it off during operation. I am also not very interested in DCC. Too much complication and expense for my purposes. I was just kind of curious as to what the board thought on the subject.
As to the snow plow issue, I was unable to find the correct part,so I fabricated a similar part form a piece of wood. It's not perfect, but it works!

zubi

Mark, scalewise, both models are fine representations of the originals! Of course, the scale is 1:22.5
Andrew, LGB Moguls are very durable and reasonable but not strong pullers, they will last forever...
Depending on the version your 4-6-0 may pull more or less, although it will probably not last long...
In real operation, a lot depends on your particular circumstances, grades, curvature weather etc, etc.
As for the snowplow, the original LGB snowplow is great but it is best installed using a few other parts.
Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

Loco Bill Canelos

While I have an opinion, I cannot comment on this topic because the "Bachmann Code of Conduct" will not allow me to criticize another manufacturers product. 

Bachmann excerpt from the code of conduct:

This forum is provided to discuss Bachmann model trains, associated products and techniques. You may mention and discuss the products of other manufacturers, but please don't use our board for their announcements or discussions focused specifically on another manufacturer's product. Also, please refrain from criticizing other manufacturers, as they are not here to respond.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!