News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

J class in n-scale dcc version

Started by RGPerkins, February 23, 2019, 05:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGPerkins

I notice that an HO version of this locomotive with dcc and sound has been released in two road number.
Are there plans for an n-scale dcc with sound version and if so when will it be available.
This model seems to have been offered in n-scale over the years.
Thank you.

ACY

You can always install your own sound decoder and speaker so you don't have to wait, who knows when they will make one.

thewizard

Quote from: ACY on February 23, 2019, 07:19:01 PM
You can always install your own sound decoder and speaker so you don't have to wait, who knows when they will make one.
I'd be careful with that advice. I have the last run, and it's not DCC friendly. The tender is decievingly easy to install a decoder in, but the motor isn't isolated properly so you have to take apart the engine too. Other people have said it's an easy install though, so I'm thinking part of the run was DCC ready, but not all of it.

ACY

Quote from: thewizard on February 25, 2019, 10:55:44 AM
The tender is decievingly [sic] easy to install a decoder in, but the motor isn't isolated properly so you have to take apart the engine too. Other people have said it's an easy install though, so I'm thinking part of the run was DCC ready, but not all of it.
If your locomotive is not not DCC-ready in the sense that everything is isolated then it is actually not from the latest run but the run before it. The newest version has everything necessary electrically isolated to allow a DCC install. You could have possibly bought one that was old stock leftover without realizing it.

RGPerkins

I can wait for the factory version if it is not too long; I am 79 years old.
I have several Bachmann steam locomotives and have had dcc with sound upgrades installed in a few.  I do not have the soldering skills nor do I trust myself to do such an install.  I have three locomotive at a shop in Illinois now for dcc decoder work; I live in Dutchess County, NY.

lpcard

I, too, would like to see this locomotive re-released. I need parts! And of course the parts I need are out of stock.

Does anyone have an one for parts? The Spectrum version, not the old style one.

44magnum

my question for anyone pertaining to the n scale j class is I have the spectrum version and I got the dcc sound soldered in but at same time I broke off (4) of the (6) wires on the engine to the tender plug anyone know what is what on them in order that they are soldered on? I have contacted Bachmann two times and oh yeah will send a wiring diagram never happened yet Thanks in advance

spookshow

If it's the same as their typical 6-wire plug arrangement it would go like this -

-Mark

plas man

Quote from: spookshow on April 23, 2019, 06:38:34 AM
If it's the same as their typical 6-wire plug arrangement it would go like this -

-Mark

first time decoder installer's ...
note if installing dcc the bottom 2 brass colored tag's must be slipped off - other Wise the decoder will burn out .