News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Replacement Parts

Started by KB5JCX, February 27, 2019, 12:05:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KB5JCX

I have an Atlas RS=1, product number8106.  Thirty years ago, it was dropped and broken in a high school science project and I am just now getting around to fixing it for my layout, now I am finally retired.  One of the trucks is broken.  I cannot find any spares from Atlas.  Does Bachmann make a truck that will fit it?  Thanks - Ross
Namnuuquum draco consequiit

WoundedBear

The chance of a Bachmann drive truck fitting an Atlas model is slim to none, in my opinion. Go buy a new locomotive.......you will be much happier in the end.

Sid

rich1998

Quote from: KB5JCX on February 27, 2019, 12:05:41 PM
I have an Atlas RS=1, product number8106.  Thirty years ago, it was dropped and broken in a high school science project and I am just now getting around to fixing it for my layout, now I am finally retired.  One of the trucks is broken.  I cannot find any spares from Atlas.  Does Bachmann make a truck that will fit it?  Thanks - Ross

If you really insist on repairing your loco, try the below link.

https://shop.atlasrr.com/c-1070-ho-locomotive-spare-parts.aspx

I have seen the Atlas RS-1 on ebay also.

Rich

jward

The Atlas RS1 should use the same truck as the RS3. Try looking for the parts you need under that locomotive at the link Rich provided. There are enough parts listed that you should be able to assemble a complete truck from them.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

KB5JCX

Thanks - I ordered the parts and a couple of others just in case I broke one.  This engine has sentimental value to me and, as a retired Texas teacher, I cannot afford a new one - I am stuck with DC because I do not have $1,500 plus to convert everything.  Thanks though.  RL

KB5JCX

Trucks fit except that the gear case is about 5 mm too far away from the fly-wheel for the spin shaft to fit (spin shaft connected between fly-wheel and worm gear).  So, I used the old gear box frame with all original stuff except the side-mounted wheel covers.  I had a broken "snap" fitting on gear box, so held that side with a zip tie.  It held fast so far and the RS-1 runs well on the straight-and-level forward and back.  I will let you know about the rest of the operation as soon as I get the track back up.   I am doing some track lay-out modification and rewiring.  It should be ready in less than a week.  Thanks for the help you guys.  I appreciate you all trying to get me to buy new, but some things have so much sentimental value and I do like to solve problems.  It must be the "engineer" in me - laughs.  RL

KB5JCX

My repair job with the zip tie works like a champ!  The RS-1 is a great workhorse and pulls about 23 cars at a time.  It would pull more if not for the two curves and uphill 1% grade.

jward

I don't have an RS1 but i do have an S2 which had a similar cast metal chassis. It will pull double what the Bachmann S2/S4 will pull. Those were some well built, durable locomotives. Glad you got yours running again.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

JLK2707