News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO Two-Truck Climax Sound Module

Started by kirk59, March 01, 2019, 03:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirk59

My apologies if this has already been discussed as i'm sure there are others with this same issue. Searched and couldn't find anything. The Bachmann HO Climax I recently bought comes with a motor decoder and a 21 pin connector to plug in the Bachmann NO LONGER PRODUCED AND NO PLANS TO PRODUCE sound module. Since the module is no longer available, has anyone pulled the motor decoder on this engine and installed a Soundtrax TSU-1100? Based on my contact with Digitrax, Bachmann and Soundtrax this is the only module available that mimics the Climax sounds. It appears that pulling the decoder requires at a minimum removing the coal hopper and rear truck.

rich1998

I wish I could help but looking at the loco diagram, that looks like a hard wire install. Not for the faint of heart. The present decoder has to be pulled.

Rich

kirk59

Bummer. That's what I was afraid of. My frustration is that Bachmann provides zero support in doing this even they are currently still selling this locomotive in a way that most would believe you can easily add sound.

rich1998

Would the module for the three truck work? I know little about the Climax locos, especially the different sounds. Looks like it is available. Both are two cylinder, geared down locos.
There should be some here who can answer this.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_153&products_id=10470

Rich

kirk59

No unfortunately not. The HO Climax DCC card is unique to that model so only the original sound module will work.

dutchbuilder

There are 21 pin to 8 pin adapter cables.
Maybe an option to continue with 8 pin decoders.

Ton

kirk59

Good thought. But the 8pin card would have to be sound only since the imbedded decoder is motor only so I can't add another motor decoder. Thanks.

WoundedBear

Have you looked at the Digitrax Sound Bugs? They are sound only and can be added to most motor decoders.

Trainman203

There are many professional techs that can install sound decoders and speakers for you.  You do have to pay the labor , but you don't have  to buy a second decoder to replace  the original one you fried because you didn't know how to do it.  Plus you don't have to look at the places you hit the model with the soldering iron.

kirk59

That's funny. Speaking from experience? I think I have a found someone to install the decoder in Atlanta for $50. Thanks.