News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Running a second track

Started by usa2, March 03, 2019, 10:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

usa2

New here; can I run a second track using my digital command control center?

Maletrain

Yes. 

It could be 2 loops, with one inside the other, or it could be two loops sitting beside each other.  Or, two separate end-to-end tracks.  It really doesn't matter, except that you must be careful how you join them together, if you do that.  The rail-to-rail connections must be the same phase of the alternating DCC voltage, or you will create a short circuit. 

You should also look at the wiring issues for a "reversing" section, to make sure that you understand the needs for keeping the rail power phases separated.  Think about your track plan this way: is there any way you can run a train through it so that it eventually ends-up going the other way on the same piece of track?  A diagonal across a loop would do that.  A wye would do that.  If any track configuration would do it, then you have a reversing section, somewhere, and will need to learn how to wire that to prevent a short circuit.  Typically, it requires an electrically isolated part of the track that has the ability to reverse its phase while the train is on it.  A manual double-pole,double-throw electrical switch is the cheapest way to do that, but there are electronic devices (e.g., AR1 or PSX-AR) that will do it automatically and much more conveniently.

rich1998

Post a photo or diagram of what you want to do would help. You will need a photo hosting site like Photo Bucket. There are others.

Rich

Maletrain

That is a lot of power!  I am guessing this ain't N scale.

But, it really doesn't make any difference what the scale is, just the track configuration and how it is sectioned.

What is confusing me (and maybe you) is that you seem to be attaching 2 boosters to all of "track 1" plus another 2 boosters to all of tracks 1 and 2, together.  So, the way you write it, it sounds like you can put 20 amps on any part of "track 2".  And, if all 4 of the boosters are attached to "track 2", and 2 of then are also attached to "track 1", it seems to me that really all 4 boosters are also electrically attached to "track 1", also.

I am suspecting that you are confusing the wires for sending signals from the command station to the boosters with the wires that send power+signals from the command station to the track through the boosters.  Typically, a single, electrically isolated part of the track is powered from a single booster, not 2 or more in parallel.

It would help to know what scale locomotives you are talking about. 

RAM

rich1998

An overhead diagram of what he actually has would be clearer than a written description or at least in addition to.
A picture can be worth a thousand words. Something I learned in Sophomore English back in 1956 from a teacher.

Rich