News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

train loses speed

Started by rcdad, March 06, 2019, 07:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcdad

I have an on30 Christmas train set up that now loses speed and then picks up again. It does this over and over. The track is connected well but I don't know how to fix it. Can anyone help?

jward

Is your track level? How long is it? DOes the train slow down on curves? Straights? How far away from the power connections to the track does it slow down?

Are there any associated noises when the train slows down?

You've got to provide alot more informantion if you want to solve the problem.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rcdad

thanks for responding. The track is level. It's oval in shape and the oval is about 6 feet long. there are no noises. The train just slows down at this one particular spot which is on the opposite end of there the power is connected but then it picks up speed after is passes that spot and finishes its run at usual speed.

Flare

The best way to fix this is to add a second power connection opposite of the powered rerailer.  (I assume you're using the E-Z track that came with the set.)

You'll need another powered rerailer track section and two extra connection wires to go between the two rerailers.

You'll also need to solder or otherwise rig the wires together on the ends that are supposed to go to the controller.  If the train doesn't work, unplug one of the new power connectors and turn it over to correct the short.

The wires are made of copper which conducts power much better than the rails, and will make up for the power loss over the rail length.

rcdad

jward

I agree. It is obviously an issue of power loss in the track. Most likely some of the rail joiners are loose and not making full contact. You could also try to tighten them up, which would be a temporary solution. Or you could solder the joints, a permanent solution that would mean you can no longer take those sections apart.

Bear in mind that if you are setting this up and taking it down you will eventually run into the same problem again with other sections of track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

bbmiroku

Or the track just may be getting dirty.  A section of dirty track will make the train slow down slightly, which will cause a little spark when it picks up power, making the tracks dirtier in a vicious (though slow) cycle.