News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

add dcc/sound to Ringling Circus diesel

Started by BobZ, March 09, 2019, 05:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobZ

looking for suggestions on best way to add dcc/sound to Ringling Bros Circus diesel.

Hunt

A simple and cost effective way if you do want all the sounds and capabilities of a top-of-the-line sound decoder --  shop for best cost and buy a Bachmann HO F7A DCC Sound Value equipped and swap locomotive shell.

rich1998

Hunt has the easiest suggestion. There are good prices on line.

Below is a link for what you would have to do yourself. Price the different items. Figure the time involved.

http://tcsdcc.com/installation/ho-scale/bachmann-f7a/kit-coming-soon

The SoundTraxx site has a suggestion for decoder and speaker.

https://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step1.php?s=HO-Bachmann

Rich

Hunt

*** Correction ***
Quote from: Hunt on March 09, 2019, 08:53:34 PM

A simple and cost effective way if you do not want all the sounds and capabilities of a top-of-the-line sound decoder --  shop for best cost and buy a Bachmann HO F7A DCC Sound Value equipped and swap locomotive shell.

rich1998

I have a couple Spectrum steamers that came with on board sound that are similar to sound value and I was happy with them.
I have installed full blown Tsunami and I did not notice any difference but I do not count all the rivets anyway.

Rich

Trainman203

Rich, if you think that sound Value is as good as the older Bachmann on board sound or (gasp) the Tsunami2  ..... man .... I'm speechless.

rich1998

Quote from: Trainman203 on March 10, 2019, 01:41:51 PM
Rich, if you think that sound Value is as good as the older Bachmann on board sound or (gasp) the Tsunami2  ..... man .... I'm speechless.

They were ok. I do not count all the rivets. Not looking for an argument. I know some just like to complain.

Rich

Trainman203

I'm not complaining at all.  Some folks are happy with a few basic sounds and it's good that there are products for everyone.  What bothers me the most about sound Value is not the omission of a particular sound, it's the omission of a timing cv that allows the engine to remain silent when you power up the layout, and goes silent after a user- set interval when the train is stopped.  That one thing really annoys me, when powering up, all my other engines, probably 5 or 6 at a time,  stay quiet but the sound value comes right on and I have to turn that one engine off.

The whistle choices are a lot better on the sound Value decoders than with the old Bachmann on board decoders so that makes this unfortunate omission really felt.  I don't know how much money Bachmann saved leaving that one cv off but it can't be getting anyone rich (sorry for the pun 😂😂).