News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Sound Decoder for Steam Locomotive

Started by PFK57, March 12, 2019, 10:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PFK57

Asking for a recommendation for a sound decoder for my new Bachmann 4-8-4 Northern DCC ready Locomotive

rich1998

Here is the SoundTraxx decoder selector for Bachmann locos. The Northern is in the list. Two decoders to select from.
I would remove the capacitors from the PC board. They would have a C prefix. If you see what looks like two green resistors, they are chokes., not resistors. Not a problem. Some PC boards they are wire wound devices. A couple of mine were.
This should not be a big deal install.

https://www.soundtraxx.com/choose/step1.php?s=HO-Bachmann

Rich

PFK57

rich1998

I have used the older style shrink wrapped SoundTraxx decoders and 28mm speakers in Bachmann locos.
The caps and chokes can cause slow running issues when using BEMF if you are not aware of this. Many suggest removing caps. No caps, chokes are a moot point.

Rich

Trainman203

I have no idea what a capacitor or resistor looks like.  We aren't all electrical engineers here.

rich1998

Quote from: Trainman203 on March 14, 2019, 07:33:17 AM
I have no idea what a capacitor or resistor looks like.  We aren't all electrical engineers here.

They will have a C prefix or a L prefix on the PC board. Many never notice that. Also, Google them. It has been discussed in many forums. Even these forums. Photos in these forums a few times.
Google Bachmann capacitors inductors

Rich