News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

lost motion

Started by BillyS, March 18, 2019, 01:09:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BillyS

Old dog having trouble with new tricks. Recently returned to HO in DC, expecting to give DCC a try. Got a "DCC On Board" GP7 recently, and it instantly became my favorite DC loco. Picked up a "DC on Board" GP30; great DC unit also. Small layout, a door with an extra 6SF yard area.
A few weeks ago I bought a used EZ Command unit. Set it up and programmed both units for motion...all was well. After a few days I decided to add light function. Lights work on both units, but I lost motion on the GP7. As a matter of fact, I lost DC motion. I have not run the DCC system at all since my error, back to DC with all older units for now.
1) will, or rather should, my GP30 still operate in DC...and should I expect to see any lights?
2) since the GP7 will not move in either mode, is it probable that I fried the decoder or perhaps the motor?

I have been trying to find a club around me that would have a more elaborate DCC system to possibly reset the decoder, but maybe that's not in the mix.

Thanks.
BillyS

rich1998

That can happen with DCC at times. I doubt you fried the motor. The decoder is probably wonky.
The EZ Command is first generation for Bachmann.

Is there a hobby, train shop in your area?

Some years ago I had a different DCC system that could not reset the decoders. First generation for MRC.  I bought a NCE Power Cab.
Good luck.

Rich