News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-4-2T Manual/Instructions

Started by Costonlight, March 23, 2019, 03:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Costonlight

Hi all,

This is my first post as l have some arthritic problems that preclude me from active participation in 7 1/4" rail operations at the Diamond Valley Railway in Eltham, Victoria, Australia where I live. I have decided I can work with G Gauge, and recently bought a new 2-4-2T for a very good price from a local dealer. Got it home and unpacked it, and to my dismay (and obviously that of many others) there was no manual or instructions of any kind.

Does anyone have any such? I have searched until I am blue in the face (matches the Version 3 B&O 4-6-0 Big Hauler set I bought) but can't find anything. I have found the instructions for the 4-6-0 but nothing for the 2-4-2T, an all-black US-style one. I don't particularly want to start running it until I get disassembly and lubing instructions to make sure all is well as I don't know how long it was on the shelf. It is a lovely quiet and smooth runner on short test however. Instructions are needed as I suffer also from butterfingeritis.

Thanks,

Pete.

Homo Habilis

Assuming this is the "Lynn" I found these using a Google search of "bachmann 2-4-2T lynn manual" -

Forum

Video

Hope this helps.

Costonlight

Thanks Homo habilis.

My loco's box reads

ITEM NO: 91197
"L" 2-4-2 STEAM LOCO (DCC READY)
PAINTED< UNLETTERED - BLACK

It varies from the LYNN in the video you sent me in various details, mainly not having a cowcatcher and different smoke-box door among other less obvious items. However the bottom plate is the same so the video instructions will get it lubed okay. However I need a set of those instructions to replace the speaker for better sound and getting into my loco's entrails without damage.

Also can anyone tell me when my loco was made?

Another query I would love answered is why are the couplers mounted so high out of the box? What are they designed to work with like this? I have had to make drastic changes at the rear to fit the non-Bachmann auto couplers I have decided to standardise on, and am now designing the front arrangement. Are all Bachmann couplers now this height?

Cheers and thanks,

Pete.

Costonlight

l did forget to mention in helping date my loco was that the serial number (?) on the bottom cover plate is K110426.

Pete.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi,

That loco came out in 2011, it has the new for then all metal gearbox.  While it is detailed in a different manner than the Lyn the mechanism is exactly the same as the LYN. 

Go to this link to find the parts diagrams: https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69_597&zenid=e92krnd6htjc4r0tmh2q0io2l7

This is a great loco and I am sure you will love it!!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Costonlight

Thanks Loco Bill,

After its test run I already do love it, but I think I had better grease and oil it before I use it. I already had the parts diagrams, but Bachmann must have put a block on printing them because my printer wouldn't and still won't. So I photographed them! However I need INstructions on disassembly & reassembly otherwise I end up with DEstructions! I need step by step guides so I do it all in the correct, safe order.

I can build a Gatling Gun but things electrical and electronic escape me at times.

Pete.

PS Re your postscript, I always thought the quote was: "There are no such things as stupid questions, only stupid answers." Same idea.

grsman

Quote from: Costonlight on March 24, 2019, 01:57:29 PM
Thanks Loco Bill,

After its test run I already do love it, but I think I had better grease and oil it before I use it. I already had the parts diagrams, but Bachmann must have put a block on printing them because my printer wouldn't and still won't. So I photographed them! However I need INstructions on disassembly & reassembly otherwise I end up with DEstructions! I need step by step guides so I do it all in the correct, safe order.

I can build a Gatling Gun but things electrical and electronic escape me at times.

Pete.

PS Re your postscript, I always thought the quote was: "There are no such things as stupid questions, only stupid answers." Same idea.

Costonlight
Those are just normal PDF files. I just printed them.
It must be something on your end. Can you print any other PDF files?
Tom

Greg Elmassian

Loco Bill, that link took me to the store and showed parts.

I take a completely different path to manuals.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Costonlight

Hi all,

Bachmann actually sent me a link to what looks like Manuals/Instructions/Parts Lists for what looks like most things they have made. I have included their message with the link here:

Here is a link to the reference sheet page. you'll have the reference sheets for the 2-4-2T there.
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/references.php?

It has everything I wanted.

Cheers,

Pete.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Greg,

There is more than one way to do it. In the link I sent, the diagrams are at the top of the page right under the photo.

Regards,

Bill

Costonlight

Loco Bill,

What you get under the picture in the catalog is 2 parts diagrams. What you get in the link from Bachmann I posted above is multitudes of these PLUS what us novices need and that is a lot of "How To"s for many models from many gauges. Information gold in my opinion.

Cheers,

Pete.

Loco Bill Canelos

Pete,

Absolutely, and happy you got what you needed.  Enjoy your little beauty!!!

Bill

Costonlight

Bill,

I certainly will, thank you. It definitely is far better built and detailed than the earlier Big Haulers judging by my Version 3 B&O Royal Blue Line set of loco, tender and 4 different cars, and with proper care, should last me out.

Just another brief question. Will the 4-6-0 Anniversary chassis with metal gears fit into a version 3, or be made to fit? Plastic gears on mine haven't packed it in yet (or have been replaced before I bought it) but when I get my own track finished I suspect they may.

An interesting observation on plastic gears - my retailer lives in the hills behind the Dandenong Ranges east of Melbourne. Stinking hot in summer and often snow in winter. Years ago he put a Bachmann loco on the shelf in the shop, testing it first and it ran perfectly. 5 years later he decided to check it out and it wouldn't budge so he pulled the bottom cover off and found with time and climatic changes the gears had crumbled just sitting there in the box. Not a good advertisement for the plastic used, and I wonder if anything similar happened in the US with your much larger climatic swings?

Cheers,

Pete.

Loco Bill Canelos

Pete,

The greatest problem with the plastic gears came on the version 2thru 4 chassis.  the Version 5 chassis with plastic gears have held up quite well.  We have run ours winter and summer here in Colorado.  Folks in Texas Arizona and Nevada find it so hot they put their trains away in the worst part of summer.  Sometimes it gets so hot that buildings made by Pola and LGB and Aristocraft  have melted or deformed.  Same thing with freight and passenger cars.  In temperatures above 95 we usually get our trains inside or as a minimum into a shady spot.  High heat and low cold do take a toll on our G scale equipment and more frequent greasing and oiling are needed as a minimum.  We too have had the roofs of some buildings deform.  We have avoided some of this by painting the roofs of some buildings silver. 

There is some good news and some bad news:  The good news is that the Anniversary chassis for sale in the web store are easily adaptable to the older boiler and cab, the bad news is that they are all version 5 with the plastic gears.  If you have a Version Six chassis with metal gears and it breaks down(so far no problems of note) and you send it in to Bachmann for repair they most often replace the chassis with the version 5 Anniversary chassis.  I have 5  Annies with the version 5 chassis which have plastic gears and none have given me trouble.  The first two I bought I got in late 2000 when they first came out.  If you want the ones with the metal gears (version 6) you have to buy a complete locomotive.

I have some repair tips and chassis identificarion at the following link: https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039.

I personally recommend keeping your powered equipment in a place where the temperature is regulated with out extremes especially if you plan to store if for a long time.  JUst take good care of it. I would not hesitate to buy an Anniversary locomotive with plastic gears(version 5), I do have one with the metal gears and it works fine as well.

All the best,

Bill