Sentimental value of Dad’s trains

Started by Trainman203, March 22, 2019, 07:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Dad passes away and leaves behind a massive layout and huge collection of engines and rolling stock , without any indication of what to do with it. 

What happens to it?  Tell the stories you have heard.

WoundedBear

It all gets sold at pennies on the dollar or it goes in the dumpster.

End of thread. ::)

Sid

Trainman203

Well then let us think of the future. One day we will all depart the earth.  I've arranged for my friend and son, top quality modelers , to be the recipients of my stuff.  All of this is in my will, and family members have  their contact information.   They are to be contacted the day after I depart, to come to the house, box up the equipment, and remove my modular layout  to keep or dispose of as they wish.  The family won't have to do anything.

Anyone else doing anything thing?

jward

A similar situation happened with my Grandfather about 25 years ago. My cousin asked for, and got, the trains and track but left the stripped layout behind. About ten years later my wife and I bought a house. I "rescued" what was left of the layout and rebuilt it in the new home. Unfortunately, while rebuilding it we divorced. My teenage son tells me it's still down there. One day when I have the room to set it up i'll retrieve it. Since it was cut apart for the original move, it'll be pretty easy to move.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

charon

When I go to The Great Train Show In The Sky my son will need only three things.  A hammer, a nail and a for sale sign. :)
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

jonathan

My grandfather gave me a large part of his collection years before he passed. When he left this earth, some cousins, whom I didn't know, swooped in and took everything else... looking for gold of course. No gold, just some trains that will probably get tossed and never played with.

My intention is to let my kids do whatever they want with what's left.  I haven't yet decided whether or not to sell some of the brass or craftsman pieces.  If I sell some, it's because I will know they will go to someone who cares and understands what they possess.  I am delusional, probably.  No one will ever care about our collections like we do. So enjoy it will you can.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan  

Terry Toenges

I have asked that my train stuff go to my grandkids.
Feel like a Mogul.

Joe323

I have 2 cousins a father and son who both collect trains so l left instructions for them to take what they want and dispose of the rest as they see fit.

kewatin

my  situation is that some yrs back i gave all my dc trains to the one son whom followed me with the joy of trains, but is now dying of cancer and as i turn 79 in april i have decided to give my layout to the chatham rail museum as they are looking for donations. it is n scale and when i constructed   it ,i made it to come apart in sections,plus it is all kato track&wiring .so while i still have my faculties could assist in setting up.at least this way younger folks might want to pick up the hobby after visiting.i know when i was a lad i used to what the trains for hours at my local hobby shop and of course had a gramps that was an engineer for the CNR
regards&later KEWATIN

Trainman203

If you have a couple of average DC train sets it's one thing to pitch them. On the other hand are people like me and I know I'm not the only one.  I have about 70 steam locomotives and maybe 15 diesels, all in beyond superb working order with Tsunami DCC and sound, about 400 high quality freight cars like Intermountain, Atlas, Tangent, etc., about 300 blue box type freight cars all with replaced better stirrups, brake wheels , etc; all with Kadee couplers and metal wheel sets.  In other words, a fairly "big" investment in stuff  way beyond toy level.

By criminy, I care a lot about that stuff and it ain't going in the dumpster after my watch, believe it.  It's guaranteed a fine home for the next 15 or so years, and more beyond  my demise.  The rest of you folks do what you will.

To wit, I went to look at a thoughtfully preserved estate collection this morning.  There were probably 1000 cars with Kadee couplers and metal wheels, and maybe 50 DC diesels, mostly Proto.  I wasn't interested in the diesels but I came away with 32 cars for $5 each.  They were recycled into the best home they'll ever have.

rich1998

Rather than have my three daughter deal with that, I gave my Marx 0-27 Tin plate some years ago to a nephew's son along with Lionel 0-27.
About five years ago I gave a Bachmann large scale set to a son in law for a grandson.
HO goes to a shop in town that sells used stuff. Trains go fast I am told.
At 78, I have enjoyed trains enough. I now ride a bicycle on rail trails in my area.

Rich