News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Anyone build the Iowa Central layout?

Started by papa3376, April 01, 2019, 06:42:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papa3376

Hi,  I have carefully followed the track plan in the book E-Z Model Railroads but am finding it anything but E-Z.  Having issues with track alignment (gaps in the track joints) at the mainline switch on the right.  Anyone else have issues building the track plan?  It also hangs over the edge of the table on the right side which surprised me.  I thought 18"R and the 9" switch would fit fine in the 48" width.  Any replies are appreciated.  George

WoundedBear

I can't say as I have ever tried to build a layout directly from a printed trackplan.

Most likely, it was dreamed up on paper, or in a CAD program, and never actually got built to see if it really worked.

My suggestion would be to just modify the plan and change things around until they fit. Remember, all track radii are measured at the centerline.

Good luck.

.......and Rich asking for pics in 3.....2.....1..... ;D

Len

Iowa Central doesn't ring a bell. Which plan number is it in the book?

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Penn1974

I looked up your plan in the book and put it into my anyrail  program and it does not hang off the edge. Maybe check your part numbers.

Terry Toenges

I think that's just 18" radius curves. With 18" radius curves that's 38" (18" + 18" = 36" for center line. Add 1" on each side for width of track = 38") width plus 9" for straight equals 47" width. You should have an inch to spare (or 1/2" on each side.)
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

papa3376

Thanks to all who replied.  Taking out the 1/3 R 18" made a big difference.  Everything fits on the table now.  I'll have to order the short track assortment and adjust the layout some more but for now things are much better.  Thanks,  George