News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

The Sundown Limited

Started by Terry Toenges, September 13, 2019, 11:13:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

It's good for a chuckle. Maybe I should put some flour in my cylinders.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8NM-BbaL_4
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

That was genius, it really was.

Trainman203

😂😂😂😂😂

OH MAN!!!! HAWHAWHAWHAWHAW!!!!

The attention to real railroad detail!  Like the semaphore.  The mail bag.  And the engine sanding and bell!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂. And the water stop!😂😂😂😂😂.

Beyond all that, though,  is the irreplaceable vintage footage of Santa Fe steam engines and vintage rolling stock, priceless.

plas man

good one Terry ... thanks for sharing  :) :) :)

bbmiroku

I think what would've gotten the attention of the train crew was all that wheelslip!

Trainman203

The 1344 was probably due for a shopping anyway the way they tore up the driver tires with all that spinning.  If it wasn't, it "was" by the time they were done with the film.  😂😂

Anyone notice, early on, while the 1344 was in reverse, the other engine to the left pacing it?  It's only partially visible for a split second but it certainly was carrying another film crew looking at the side of that beautiful early high headlight Pacific, probably a close sister to the one down on the Texas State Railroad.

The beauty of this film for railfans is all the period detail in the margins.  The outside braced wooden boxcars at the time of their height, in particular an unusual Pacific Electric boxcar.  A glimpse of a 3 domed ATSF 0-6-0, behind the 1344 in one clip, at at a time they were being replaced by larger switchers and when diesels were in the very near future.  The railroad bull with the club.  The open platform observation car.  And the general street scenes of a low rise L.A. before cars completely took over.  This film of course is corny to the max yet at the same time an incredible time capsule of the 1924 ATSF in Los Angeles.

Terry Toenges

Notice on the one that they built, the loco says AT & SF 1344 and the tender says Union Pacific 1344.
Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

1316 was the locomotive that went to the Texas State rr, was built in 1911.  1344 was built in 1912 and lasted until 9-6-1950. I got to see one or two of them in service.

Terry Toenges

It was made in 1924. This is the location - https://ourgang.fandom.com/wiki/Greenpoint_Train_Station
Apparently, Greenpoint was in a number of Our Gang shorts with railroad stuff.
Railroadin from 1929 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftUFjl090g

Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

This one has SOUND!  LIVE!  NOT DUBBED!

Many incredible action shots of ATSF 4-6-2 1373. How often do you get live no-dubbed steam era action photography?

MAN!!! The Santa Fe really had some beautiful whistles.  Just like the T&NO and MP ones I heard as a kid. Diesel horns cannot compare.  This is the sound that birthed much of America's music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ftUFjl090g

WoundedBear

An interesting fact about the soundtrack in the "Railroadin" movie........

From Wiki...........

Like many early sound films, Railroadin' was recorded using a sound-on-disc synchronization process - the soundtracks for the film were held on separate phonographic records, which would be played by a projectionist in synch with the film. The sound discs for the film went missing at MGM in the 1940s, and only the film negative survived. When MGM sold Roach the catalog of Our Gang films made at the Roach studio, it therefore acquired only the picture element of Railroadin'; as such, the short was never included in any of the Little Rascals theatrical reissue or television distribution packages.

Home movie distributor Blackhawk Films produced a silent film adaption of Railroadin' with text titles in the 1970s, leading to the film's first release in any form since its original theatrical release. In 1982, the long-lost sound discs for Railroadin' were located in an MGM vault, and the film was finally made available with sound for the first time in decades via a 1983 VHS release by Blackhawk. Railroadin' has since been released on DVD as well, but was never added into the Little Rascals television package, despite being restored to sound.

Trainman203

Very interesting stuff.

Maybe the question might be if you call that sound "dubbed in."  It's definitely real time with the film, but it's a separate item, although recorded simultaneously with the film.  It doesn't matter, steam era film with actual live sound, doesn't get better.  Those 5 chime whistles really get me going.

Terry Toenges

There were a few different versions of Railroadin' on Youtube and I wasn't sure which one was the most complete. I didn't watch them all the way through yet. I do love watching the train scenes though. I watched a lot of Our Gang and Little Rascals when I was kid but I didn't rem all the train ones.
Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

I see they tried ti wipe out the AT&SF on the cab of 1373