News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reworking the layout

Started by Terry Toenges, April 06, 2019, 01:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I started redoing my layout. I got HO stuff on the oval and upper point-to-point right now because my grandson is bringing my great grandson down today and he likes to watch the trains. I just hooked up the DC power to the oval for now. I'll set up for the On30 after they leave.
It took me a lot of experimenting with different track pieces to get the wye right in the space I had to work with. I had to go outside the box and using a crossing with it. I didn't have the crossing so I hard to order it and got it yesterday. I already have the reversing unit. I've got an "S" in there but it couldn't be helped.
Now that I have this part figured out, I'll have to get some foam to put the extension on the right side so I can connect the bottom track with top track. It will go behind the "mountains". I'm going to have to lower the right side top track some. I haven't figured out the measurements for the grade yet.

Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

Nice example of a scissors wye, Terry!  And you made it your own with the bend in the middle.  Must have taken a lot of planning and mis-fitting of pieces.

Terry Toenges

It did take a lot of trial and error. Originally, I had tried a standard wye without the crossing but I didn't have enough room on the tail end of it to curve it inside the base of the grade. I'm going to enlarge the tunnel hole. Instead of the left turnout (in the middle) I had a right turnout on the opposite track in front of the left one for the wye (with a couple pieces running along the base of the grade toward the bridge).
I wanted to be able to set off some cars once I got into the wye so I would be able to turn around and pick up the cars again.
Now, if I have four cars, I can back in there and dump two cars. Pull out and then backup with the other two to the tail of the wye. Then move forward to the main and back the cars onto the oval and drop them. Then move move forward and back up into the wye. When I get to the tail, I flip the switch and move forward to the next turnout. Back into that one and pick up the other two cars and reverse the procedure until I'm able to couple those two to the two in the oval. Then, I get back on the main and I'm going the opposite direction.
I'll probably put another turnout on the far side of the oval for some kind of industry. I will put some industry on the top level.
I have my On30 Heisler, Porter, and Mogul so I'll have to figure out what to use where. It would be nice to see the Climax reissued.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I put my plan into Anyrail to work out some "fudging" places on it. I now have it to where everything will fit properly without cheating. I wish Anyrail had more structure options. I don't know if I can do any kind of terrain with Anyrail to show that the back part is up on the mountain.
Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Just a wee bit curious about that tail track. Have you actually run the On30 trains through it? How did that work out?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

I just now tried it. It looks like it will be ok. It doesn't look like it on the Anyrail.  I won't be leaving anything parked that close to the end. I have room for two freight cars and Porter. I will be widening the tunnel portal. I was thinking about cutting down a 15" radius piece to give me a few more inches on the tail. Originally, I was worried that I was going to have to cut down some turnouts to make it work. I don't mind cutting a piece of track but turnouts are expensive. As it is now, I don't have to do any cutting.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

This makes it easier to tell how it will be.

Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

I use AnyRail (v.6).  The trial version (free) has a limit of 50 pieces of track per layout, but there is a massive library of structures that you can place on it and a 3D view which helps visualize the actual track placement.  But in the 3D view, only the track and baseplate are visible.

Terry Toenges

I have version 6 too. I paid the money to have full access to everything. The structure library isn't really that big. 20 structures and 15 trees and shrubs from Walthers. They have signals from 10 different companies. With Bachmann HO track, it only allows for HO structures which is a drawback.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

That's part of why a sprang for RR-Track. It has accessory libraries for just about all of the "O" Lionel Prewar, Postwar, and Modern buildings and accessories, as well as MTH RailKing buildings and accessories and 'Miscellaneous' buildings and accessories. 'Miscellaneous' includes the Atlas, Berkshire Valley, Buildings Unlimited, Downtown Deco, IHC, Korber, Laserkit, and Walthers buildings and accessories. There are also a bunch of signals and roundhouses from other manufacturerers. There's also an American Classics library that contains a number of 'O' buildings.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I discovered other items than people have uploaded but it takes a long time just for them to load. The program kept "not responding" on me, but I have issues with my computer doing that sometimes on File Explorer, too. I'll try it again today. It said something about buying the structures people have uploaded but I wasn't able to get far enough to see about that and see if I can get O structures for HO track. I have to wait for about 3000 structures to load and it take a long time. I did email them and ask about On30 with O structures and HO track.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I was able to get the user loaded structures up but it only brings up HO structures for my plan. I can't access the O structures.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I figured out how to do it. I only had HO track selected when I first started. I went back and selected O track also and now I have access to both scales structures.
Feel like a Mogul.

Morgun 30

Yes, I know I'm the guy with the least knowledge and experience, but I see an S and you guys have taught us rookies to avoid S's. I'm I wrong?

Terry Toenges

Morgun - You are totally right. There is an "S" between the left turnout and the 1/2 18. It the one problem I couldn't overcome. I figure that I will be going real slow through there since it will be switching out cars. I hope it won't be a problem.
Feel like a Mogul.