News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reworking the layout

Started by Terry Toenges, April 06, 2019, 01:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I'll probably try to scratch build a single stall shop. I came up with some figures.

For Loco Shop
My modified Mogul is:  3 1/2" high - 2 3/8" wide - 12 1/2" long (with couplers)
For Mogul to fit:
Loco shop needs to be at least: 4 1/2" 4.5 high - at least 3 3/4" 3.75 wide -  at least 13" long
               4.5" high   3.75" wide   13.00" long
Loco shop opening needs to be: 4" 4.00 high - 2 3/4" 2.75 wide.
               4.00" high   2.75" wide
(E-Z Track is: 5/16" .3125  high x 1 15/16" 1.9375 wide.) 
3 1/2" 3.5 Mogul high + 5/16".3125 E-Z Track high = 3 13/16" 3.8125 total height.
If doors then each needs to be: 1 3/8" 1.375 wide x (3 11/16" 3.6825 high (subtracted for track height) - 1/8" .125 clearance) = 3.5625" high
               2.75" wide  for both doors - 1/8"  .125 clearance = 2.625"
For reference:
Bachmann's On30 Trolley shed is: 5 1/2" 5.5 high at peak - 4 3/8" 4.375 at sides - 8 3/4" 8.75 long - 4" 4.00 wide
Opening is: 4 1/2" 4.5 high - 2 3/4" 2.75 wide
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

I know there has to be a single-stall O-Gauge engine shed out there somewhere.

Terry Toenges

There might be, but On30 is smaller than the normal O gauge stuff. An O gauge shed would be set up to accommodate O gauge track and taller wider stuff like O27. I don't need it that big. Even Bachmann's trolley shed looks pretty big. I can make something that doesn't look as big. I found some "S" Scale roundhouse doors that will be about the right size for what I want. I'm imagineering about how to make them open and close when the loco comes out and goes in. When I was doing HO some years ago, I had a roundhouse started out of black foam core board. I never finished it back then but  I remember how I was doing it. I'll just have to go a little bigger this time.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I just ordered S scale engine house doors from Rail Scale Models. They have both engine house and roundhouse doors. I liked the angled top of the engine house doors better than the rounded top of the roundhouse doors. They were actually too short so he is making them taller for me. Their O scale doors were just too big.

Rail Scale's S Scale doors
Engine Shed doors 14' X 15 '
wide real 168" = scale 2.63"      high real 180" = scale 2.81" - Making them 19' gives me 3.5625" high.

Roundhouse doors 14' x 19'
wide real 168" = scale 2.63"      high real 228" = scale 3.5625"

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

He redid the engine house doors for me to make them taller.
I was about to throw away a cracker box this morning. As I looked at it, I thought that it looked close to the size I want for an engine house. I measured it and it is 4 1/16" wide x 4 1/4" tall. It's only 9 1/2" long but I could put 2 together. Since I would put a new peaked roof  (peak toward the back part like a roundhouse) on it, the 4 1/4" height should work in front. I can shore up the inside with strip wood. I'm just considering the possibilities here. I don't know if I will go that route.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

It looks like my turntable will arrive today according to the tracking info. I really have to have that before I can plan an engine shed. I'll have to lay some tracks around the TT to know how much room I'll have for the width of the engine shed.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

They screwed up on the tracking info. One line said it was my town and the newest line said it was still in transit. I anxiously awaited all day for it yesterday and, when it didn't come, I checked the tracking again.
When I saw Park Hills I thought "Oh boy!" I'll get it Saturday.
Saturday, May 18, 2019 12:03 PM    Greenwood , IN    In Transit with Destination Carrier
Friday, May 17, 2019 8:29 PM    Elizabeth , NJ    In Transit with Destination Carrier
Friday, May 17, 2019 8:11 PM    PARK HILLS , MO    In Transit with Destination Carrier
Friday, May 17, 2019 7:33 PM    N/A    In Transit with Destination Carrier
Friday, May 17, 2019 9:42 AM    Elizabeth , NJ    In Transit with Destination Carrier
Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

Well before zip code you wondered how your letter got lost.  Now with zip code you wonder how they get lost so fast.

charon

I sent a package from Tampa to Milwaukee suburb. Took 7 days to get to Milwaukee main post office. 2 days later they sent it to Pittsburg. They finally sent it back to Milwaukee. Total delivery time 17 days.

Mesquite Short Line

Terry Toenges

I redid the stuff around the turntable. The Mogul is 12 1/2" long coupler to coupler so I made the engine house 13 1/2". I had to move it to the top so it would fit plus the opening now faces the front for a better view. I moved it back from the apron to have room for the doors.
By eliminating the one track, I can fit the water tower in with the ash pit, coal, wood, and sand. That way all the replenishing can done without moving the loco to different tracks. I guess I could have the wood pile on the same side as the sand. The supply car tracks can hold cars with more coal, sand, and wood.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I finally got the turntable in the mail today. I was beginning to wonder if it got lost.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Assuming that the turntable works, it looks like I got a better deal that I thought. I figured I was going to have to buy a decoder. There was a paper in the box for a Bachmann 33-553 decoder. I opened up the TT cover and the decoder is in there.  :)
I don't have any wiring or track hooked up yet so I haven't checked to see if it works. With all this DCC stuff now like locos, turnouts, and turntable, it looks like I'll have to retire my E-Z Command and break out the big guns.
I have the MRC Prodigy Elite Wireless DCC Walkaround 10 Amp unit with the handheld wireless controller. I bought it a couple years ago and haven't used it yet.
Now, I'll have to start using some more of these brain cells to figure this all out.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I tried out the turntable today and it works. It's much noisier than I would have liked. It sounded like the motor was running away so I took the top off and bottom off the check the gears and they are ok. When I hooked it back up to the power track, I forgot to use the fourth TT track and didn't have any power. I finally figured it out and it is working, just noisy.
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

Try to grease (not oil) the gearing and give the electric motor a couple of spritzes of compressed air to clean any accumulated dust/debris.  It may just need to be run a bit to 'wear it in'.

Terry Toenges

The gears had already been greased. It's mostly the high pitched sound of the motor whirring. I've never had a TT before so I didn't know what to expect. It's been used already. It wasn't new because someone had already installed a decoder. I didn't have the shed structure over it either so that might muffle the sound some.
Feel like a Mogul.