News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reworking the layout

Started by Terry Toenges, April 06, 2019, 01:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I filled in the slots in the turntable that I won't be using. I used Air-Dry Clay. I was undecided as to what to use. I thought maybe Play Doh or Plastic Wood but then I saw this and decided to try it. I hope it doesn't shrink much. The clay is sandable.
I taped pieces of styrene around the inside and outside. I was going to put plastic wrap in the slot first but I decided against it. I put a glob in the slot and smoothed it with a short popsicle stick. Once it's dry, I paint the TT.

Feel like a Mogul.

Joe323

Air Dry clay works well.  I used it to make grade crossings and cement floors.

Terry Toenges

I had thought about using spackle or Sculptamold but figured that might be too brittle and crack because these pieces are so thin.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

A mock-up of the engine house. I have it resting on foam pieces here. I'll use wood for the base so there will be more room inside. I figure I'll put a couple of loco stacks in the roof for ventilation.

The engineer will be replaced by one who can keep his hand inside the cab.

It will be longer when I get the second one. One of the walls is bent. I'm hoping the second one has straight walls. I'll use the bent wall as one of them that I cut off.

I'll have to trim the front plastic piece for the doors to fit but I'll probably just glue them in the open position.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

In figuring how high for the base, I thought 4 pieces of Woodland Scenics 1/4" sheet should be 1". When I measured, it's not. It's 1 1/4". Then, I measured a single piece of the WS sheet and it's 5/16" thick, not 1/4" like it says. Be warned if you want precise measurements when using this stuff. It actually kind of works out for laying it between tracks because E-Z Track roadbed is 5/16" high also. Hmmm.....
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I just cut the walls on the second bridge to shorten it. Now I can start building the base.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

While I was in Hobby Lobby buying balsa wood today, I happen to see this. It makes a 4" x 6" cabin. In 1/48 scale, that's 16' x 20'. All I have to do is add some windows and doors. For $4.99, it's a cheap alternative to some of the buildings out there for model railroads. I could buy a few of these and put them together and maybe build a Ponderosa. Or maybe not. ;D
I'll have to get another kit anyway. The cabin walls are only 5 logs high and the logs are 1/4" diameter. That means the wall are only 5'. With a second kit, I can make the walls 7 or 8 logs high and the door can be 6 logs (or 6' high).
Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

It's basically lincoln logs

Terry Toenges

I know but they are smaller than the Lincoln logs I remember.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I have the cutting all done for the bridge pieces. I shortened the second set of walls a little more. I had to trim down the sides and notch the top of one of the doorways so it would fit inside. I will need it to support the second roof piece. I used the other doorway, too, for support.

Here it is taped together. I'm hoping the roof seam won't be so noticeable once I paint it.

Here is an angle view. I think I'll turn the short roof piece around. I'm pleased with the way it is looking. I had my doubts before I started.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

You could always put a guy with a hammer and some shingles on the roof to explain any slight discrepancies at the joint.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

It seems like I saw somewhere that someone makes shingle sheets. I'll have to look around. That would solve the problem. If I find them in O scale size, that would be even better.
Feel like a Mogul.

Flare

Quote from: Terry Toenges on July 06, 2019, 10:19:45 AM
It seems like I saw somewhere that someone makes shingle sheets. I'll have to look around. That would solve the problem. If I find them in O scale size, that would be even better.

Chooch Enterprises makes some, I used a pair of large shingle sheets for my new engine shed last month.

https://www.choochenterprises.com/Oroofing.html

They're made of linoleum that likes to curl, so the included adhesive sheet may not be enough to keep it flat.

bbmiroku

Or use a bit of putty or clay to smooth out the joint after the glue sets, before painting.

Terry Toenges

Thanks. I checked out Chooch. They look a little too uniform for this building. I see a few other places where they come in strips and don't look so uniform. I might go that route. I could do the clay, too. I have a tub of clay now from filling the turntable slots.
Feel like a Mogul.