News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Reworking the layout

Started by Terry Toenges, April 06, 2019, 01:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I have the track in the shed wired and the decking over it. If I butted the balsa up against the rails, it would have been cocked at an angle because of the "spikes". This looks better. Wiring the shed track was just an extra precaution. The tracks get power through the turntable. If something goes down on an open track around the turntable, it's easy to retrieve a loco. Not so in the engine shed.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I got the back wall built.

I just have to stain it now. I was going to use a crate from Rail Scale Models but it just wasn't what I was really looking for. I ended up making a tool box type thing out of balsa and just using one of the crate sides for the lid. This gives me that little bit of extra room in back of it so I can pull the loco all the way in. There is no back to the tool box and the coupler sticks through the hole in the wall.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

A peek at the inside before I glue it together.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I have the back door light installed.
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

That's a very convincing photograph. Nice work.

Sid

WoundedBear

Terry Toenges

I will do that. I have to paint the knob on the box lid too. I just got the goose neck light the other day. It was a white bulb so I covered it with yellow India ink. I was mainly just seeing how much light it would put off and how it was going to look with the door, window, and box installed.
I have the overhead lights for inside the shed made now. I used the Woodland Scenics yellow Nano lights and bought the shades from a place called Ngineering. I drilled holes in the shades and super glued them to the lights.

Feel like a Mogul.

bbmiroku

A lot of times, cheaper places would just paint the entire door, knob and all, to keep replacement cost down slightly.

Terry Toenges

I used a T pin to put a dab of paint on the knob and box knob. I ended up get some on the door so I had to go back and touch that up.
I have the roof done now. I went with a tar paper roof. I had bought shingles from Rail Scale Models but I really didn't care for the way they looked. They're not bad. They just didn't seem right for my project. I found tar paper from Builders In Scale and it looks pretty good. I used three roof vents on top from Narrow Gauge Modeling.
I just put a brace on each end piece of the shed so I can lay the beam with the top lights on the braces. That way I don't have to attach the lights to the roof and I will be able to remove the roof if necessary.
I painted and assembled the two big front doors. I used the moss green paint like the back door and window. I sandwiched the window acetate between the two door parts before I stuck them together. After I had them together, I went over them with a wash of black ink to darken the grooves in them. 
I have the long strap hinges painted black but I haven't cut them out of the sheet yet. I'm trying to figure out how I will connect them to the frame. They are "stick-on" as were the doors. I'm leaning toward using four hinges on each door side. Maybe three. I'll have to lay them out and see what looks best.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

While I'm awaiting the hinges for the engine shed doors to arrive, I started on the turntable. I decided to build a wooden platform and put a stationary engine on it to make it look like that is what is powering the turntable. I don't have the platform built yet or the engine parts all painted and assembled. I didn't want the engine sitting too high on the platform so I cut the hole in TT box. It will look like the pulley is connected to another one underneath and out of sight.

The wooden platform will hide the plastic box. It will also be removable so I can access the turntable mechanism. It would be even neater if I could animate the pulley when the TT was moving.
Feel like a Mogul.

RAM

What happened to the poor guy in green.

Terry Toenges

He wouldn't stand up and fell off.  ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Set the "Days Without an Accident" board back to 0.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

;D He shouldn't have gone out and gotten drunk the night before. The next thing you know, OSHA will be requiring hard hats to be on the platform.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

There are the gears right in front and a little  below where that pulley on the left sits. If I could figure out how to mount a wheel that would ride on one on of the gears and butt up against the pulley....
Feel like a Mogul.