How to sell a set with some extra pieces

Started by flagman51, April 06, 2019, 07:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flagman51

Hello

I have a set of HO Scale Santa Flyer trains with extra EZ tracks and cars. I have been trying to sell them on eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/233190190944) for many weeks without a single buyer. I contacted various train hobby stores who buy trains and none of them want to buy Bachmann trains.

Where can I sell these trains?

Someone please let me know.

Thank you.

WoundedBear

QuoteSoliciting of products, services, or membership to organizations is not allowed. (Basically anything that is asking for payment from a forum member).  There are plenty of auction sites, and classified sites on the internet that are specially designed for this purpose, please use them. Any posts of this nature will be deleted as soon as they are discovered. Posts directing forum users such as "Check out my train for sale on ...." will also be deleted.

You obviously missed that paragraph in the Message Board Code of Conduct.

................and you're asking about 25 dollars too much.  ::)

Sid

bbmiroku

Actually Bear, I think that flagman is skirting around the wording in that rule quite nicely.  He's not asking someone to buy it, he's asking where would be the best place to sell it.

But in the secondhand market....
diesel working, 20-25 dollars
track, buck a piece
switch tracks, 5 clams
cars, 2 to 4 dinero
powerpack and wires, single

So, between 45 and 55 is a decent price.
But your best bet may be to piece it out, flagman51.

flagman51

Thank you for both pointing out that I am not asking for anyone to buy it on here and that my price is fair.

I can list piece by piece, but is eBay still the best place? Is there a more train model dedicated or more hobbyist/collector ecommerce website?

ACY

They have that set brand new for $50 at a nearby Hobby Shop. I think you have it overpriced, I would say a more suitable price for a used set would be $25-30. Also you may have better luck selling it at a model train show/flea market, however you have to pay for a table at the show or flea market which normally costs $15-30, which means you would only have a net profit of at most $15, but actually less after figuring for the cost of gas for your car. Which means your best bet is to give it away to a kid who would enjoy it.

Trainman203

One of the most difficult realizations we all come to one way or another is that model trains have almost zero resale value.  Period.

The on line selling of model railroad turkeys is like reading the funny papers.  "Vintage", "rare", 😂😂😂😂

I mean, really, isn't it a little absurd selling some boxcar on line for $5, then spending time getting the box, wrapping it, driving to the post office, standing in line, etc etc etc. My time is worth more than that.

Terry Toenges

I was looking at them on EBay. There are a bunch of them for sale on EBay. Many of them are asking over $100 for them. One guy is asking $170. I remember when EBay used to be a place to get stuff cheap.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

It's all the Lionel collectors fault (Not really). But there are more than a few people on eBay that think because some old Lionel stuff sells for rediculous prices, all old trains are worth a lot of money. It drives Lionel operators crazy, as opposed to collectors, crazy, because it drives up the price of pieces Lionel made a gazillion of to levels where they can't afford to purchase them. And the side effect on the HO side is the proverbial, "Rare and hard to find, Athearn 40' boxcar" with a 'Buy now' price of $50.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.