News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Best glue to use for small parts

Started by mickeykelley, April 10, 2019, 09:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickeykelley

One of the pipes broke off my newer version Climax right where the valve attaches to the boiler.  At first I was going to just use super glue, then I started remembering how in the past sometimes super glue doesn't last. Before moving forward, what do others use on these small parts?  Epoxy?

ricnpat

Best repair is to use a small section of brass rod or even a section of straight pin, drill the valve and super glue it in then drill the boiler and super glue the valve on.

Loco Bill Canelos

Agree with Ricnpat, except for using super glue.  I prefer JB Weld or a similar extra strength epoxy over the super glue.  I just use a toothpick to apply it, vry little is needed, and it makes a very durable repair.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

mickeykelley

Quote from: ricnpat on April 10, 2019, 07:20:24 PM
Best repair is to use a small section of brass rod or even a section of straight pin, drill the valve and super glue it in then drill the boiler and super glue the valve on.

Very good idea I had not even thought about. 

Costonlight

Hi Bill,
Seeing this is a recently used thread on gluing repairs, I thought I would address my questions to you. I bought a Version 3 B&O Royal Blue Line set from the US. The loco runs like a dream, the sound is excellent and the smoke works. However the cross-head guides are broken (one completely, other on one guide only). Selleys "ALL PLASTIC" superglue hasn't worked so I am trying Selleys FIX&GO Multi Grip all purpose glue. Never thought of JB Weld, and I have some here I will try if the FIX&GO fails. Has anybody tried welding the plastic with a soldering iron?
Before using this loco I greased and oiled it, and noticed the motor appeared to have been replaced as there was plenty of epoxy glue on it, and the worm drive was brass. Is this normal for a version 3? Can I fit a Version 5 chassis?
Also, the loco was in good condition except the complete whistle was missing, along with the square royal blue roof hatch. Would you know of a good parts dealer I could get these from? Bachmann are out of stock of Big Hauler whistles and the only blue parts I have seen on line are a pair of new trucks for the Royal Blue line cars. Grabbed those, but they had plastic wheels and I want some metal-tired plastic Bachmann wheel sets as well rather than leave plastic smears on the rails.
Many thanks,
Pete, Australia.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi Pete,
Trying to weld plastic with a soldering iron has never worked for me, but maybe someone has made it work.  Since your version 3 has a brass worm, it has definitely been modified!

As for the roof hatch, I would consider making one using styrene plastic, you could cement it in place either open or closed. You could acrylic paint found in craft stores to try to match the color, but just painting it black should look just fine.   There are often ebay posts for metal wheels, so I would keep my eyes open for some there.  The Bachmann trucks will accept other brands of metal wheels such as AML, USA Trains, Aristocraft, so if you see a decent deal go for it.

The version 5 chassis easily replaces the old version 3 chassis, but it might be hard to get one with the blue painted wheels and cylinders, again you could try to match the paint as noted, or just leave them black.

I would strongly recommend going with an anniversary chassis,  The siderods being metal are way more robust than the plastic one on the standard Big Hauler chassis.

I have some tips i have posted in the past, so check out this link for more info:   https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

Good Luck with your project.

Bill

Costonlight

Thanks Bill,

I have seen quite a bit of your material on the Big Haulers. I believe the Anniversary chassis is the only Big Hauler with all metal gears. Will I be able to fit one to the B&O version 3 okay? Having black wheels and cylinders is a small price to pay for all-metal side rods and Walschaerts valve gear. Fitting one would give me a spare working chassis.

Cheers,

Peter A Meyer, Australia.

Costonlight

Hi again Bill,

Yet another query! Bachmann has the Version 6 metal-geared Anniversary Chassis as "Sold Out". Any idea where I could get one? Thanks,

Pete.

Loco Bill Canelos

Pete,

The Anniversary chassis on sale at the Bachmann E store do NOT have the metal gears!  They are the Version 5 chassis with the plastic gears.  They are very robust and trouble free when cared for.  The reason they are on sale so cheap is that Bachmann made then to use for warranty repairs, but because the originals are so trouble free they have not been needed and so are sold at very low prices.  So don't be put off by these chassis on sale just because they have plastic gears. When Bachmann started selling them on sale quite a few years ago I bought two to have on hand in case I needed to make repairs, but I have never needed them in all this time!!

The Anniversary chassis will fit fine in your version 3 B&0,  I love the Walschearts valve gear and have it on all my Annies. Try ordering this one: https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_623&products_id=4080&zenid=f2m4r7ni9atbugt4hd00346j26

Also read through the repair tips link which has more detail about chassis replacement.

You might try a whistle from a different locomotive,  The large scale 2-8-0 whistle is still available and could give your loco a bit of a custom look. here is the link:https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69_142&products_id=5081&zenid=f2m4r7ni9atbugt4hd00346j26

All the best.

Bill

Costonlight

Thanks Bill.

The black one you sent me looks ideal and if the gears are robust, then plastic it is and I will keep my current rebuilt good runner as a spare for motor and gears. However I worry about the motion gear - are all the rods and valve gear metal? The black and gold will suit my Royal Blue B&O with gold railings so I will go ahead and order one.

I have a spot of bother navigating around Bachmann's website, so thanks for the heads-up on the 81092 chassis.

Cheers,

Pete.

Loco Bill Canelos

Pete,

All the Anniversary 4-6-0 chassis have all metal valve & running gear, including the Walschearts v ersion. You will not be disappointed with them and watching them run at very slow speeds is nothing short of amazing!!!

Bill

Costonlight

Hi Bill,

I now have my first all-black v.5 chassis. Bachmann's shipping is very quick, only 2 weeks to Australia. I will keep this as a spare, and have ordered another two which I will use to build a freelance Kitson-Meyer loco. I am running this v.5 as is without a body because as you said, watching the Walschaerts gear in slow motion is a real treat. I also have a new (not yet released) LGB Meyer loco on order. As you may have noticed I have a fondness for the Meyer "family" of locos, no doubt due to my surname being Meyer!

And Bachmann have found me a whistle and roof hatch for my v.3 blue B&O in the spare parts department. Very efficient lot. Just have to paint the roof hatch as they found a black one.

Cheers,

Pete.

Loco Bill Canelos

HI Pete,

Glad to see Bachmann could help with the parts, that is great news!   

Be sure to post some photos of your Kitson-Meyers project.  That will be a great kitbash and fun to see and operate.

Have fun,

Bill