News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

light mountain

Started by plas man, April 10, 2019, 05:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plas man

hi guy's - has any one got the new loco yet ? (Bachmann light mountain)
if so how do it perform ?

plas man

rnjuice

I got the Southern #1489 and quite frankly, it kinda sucks.  It has no traction, no traction tires, and is overall very loose.  When it goes along viaducts it vibrates like the wheels are flopping around in their assembly.  It also kinda rolls like this:  "fmp fmp fmp fmp" in a herky-jerk fashion at slow speeds.  I tried to loosen/tighten the bottom plate (which still has tiny plastic runner bits coming from the mold that catch turnouts) and even added a tiny bit of lubricant to the leading and trailing trucks.  The whitewalls are terrible, too -- flaked off as soon as i pulled it out of its box.  All in all, very slapdash and disappointing.  Makes me sad...  :'(

rnjuice

Quote from: spookshow on April 11, 2019, 06:47:25 AM
Mine runs great and pulls like a horse - http://www.spookshow.net/loco/bachmann482.html

-Mark

Hey Mark, which variant did you get?  Yours looks more robust than mine

tweetsieengineer

I have the Southern version.  Out of the box it wouldn't pull much. After looking at my other versions of this engine from a previous runs. I noticed a spring was added to the trailing truck on the new version. I had to tighten up some screws on the bottom plate and remove the spring from the trailing truck mount after that she started running.

Ive had it pulling 10 heavyweight passenger cars since then with out a problem.

Tim Smith,

spookshow

Quote from: rnjuice on April 12, 2019, 01:18:09 PM
It has no traction, no traction tires

It should have traction tires on the #3 drivers. I'd return it if it doesn't.

-Mark

rnjuice

Quote from: spookshow on April 13, 2019, 07:26:43 AM
Quote from: rnjuice on April 12, 2019, 01:18:09 PM
It has no traction, no traction tires

It should have traction tires on the #3 drivers. I'd return it if it doesn't.

-Mark

this is what i'm going to do