How do I replace the cowcatcher on the Bachmann Baldwin 2-8-0?

Started by wiley209, April 12, 2019, 04:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiley209

You may recall me mentioning four months ago I got me a Bachmann 2-8-0 Spectrum Baldwin steam locomotive and tender, the DCC-ready version (I've since plugged a decoder into the tender.) But it arrived with the cowcatcher damaged and the coupler part broken, so I ordered a replacement cowcatcher from the Bachmann parts store (model H11408-Cowcatcher-B). But now how do I remove the old cowcatcher so I can replace it? The diagram I looked at didn't help much, and when I removed the screws and cover plates from the bottom, the cowcatcher piece still stays in tight. Is there any additional screws or parts I need to remove before replacing the cowcatcher?
Thanks.

rogertra

As I do not think Bachmann stock Spectrum parts, your easiest way to replace the pilot (Correct name for "Cowcatcher" is to Google something like "HO scale steam loco pilot."   Failing that, you could quite easily make a "switcher" pilot, one with stepboards, from styrene.  They were frequently used on engines assigned to way freight service.

Try here http://www.bowser-trains.com/history/hocalscalesteam.html

You have to scroll down, section 'P', I think

Best of luck.

Len

With the screw that goes up through the bottom of the smoke box removed, pull the top of the steps out to the side to disengage the pins holding them to the smoke box. With the ladders free, the entire pilot assembly should slide straight out to the front of the loco. You may have to seperate the shell and underframe slightly. Reverse to install the new pilot.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

wiley209

Quote from: Terry Toenges on April 14, 2019, 10:52:43 AM
Roger - Bachmann does show it available.
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_86&products_id=7480&zenid=ftps8b4clkaddijt6egn82pct4

Exactly. Bachmann still makes the Baldwin 2-8-0, but it's not under the Spectrum name anymore, even though it retains the high Spectrum quality. (The same can be said for some new models that are not Spectrum-branded but have the same high quality, like the ACS-64 locomotive.)

RAM

In his first post he wrote "I ordered a replacement cowcatcher from the Bachmann parts store (model H11408-Cowcatcher-B). But now how do I remove the old cowcatcher so I can replace it? The diagram I looked at didn't help much, and when I removed the screws and cover plates from the bottom, the cowcatcher piece still stays in tight. Is there any additional sc
rews or parts I need to remove before replacing the cowcatcher?" Now he is still waiting to find out HOW to replace it not how to get a new one.

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: Len on April 13, 2019, 10:17:52 PM
With the screw that goes up through the bottom of the smoke box removed, pull the top of the steps out to the side to disengage the pins holding them to the smoke box. With the ladders free, the entire pilot assembly should slide straight out to the front of the loco. You may have to seperate the shell and underframe slightly. Reverse to install the new pilot.

Len

Len actually did tell him how to do everything to remove the pilot.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

wiley209

Yep, I got the pilot/cowcatcher replaced! Thanks everyone.