News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Use HO Scale Layout Kit for N Scale Layout?

Started by ChefTx1, April 13, 2019, 11:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChefTx1

New guy here, no experience with building layouts. I have the opportunity to pick up a Woodland Scenics River Pass HO Scale Layout Kit for $40.
Seems like a great low cost way to get into a layout build but I have N scale trains and track.
Can I use the contents to create my own custom N layout or am I asking for trouble and lots of extra work?
Thanks so much for your input!

the Bach-man

Dear Tx1,
For that price, I'd definitely try it!
You will be able to double-track portions of it as well.
Good luck!
the Bach-man

Maletrain

One thing to keep in mind is that the vertical clearances will look ridiculous when you run N scale track, even double track, into an HO tunnel portal.  That can be fixed by using an N scale portal.  The grades to get one track over another will be more than needed for N scale (because the clearance required is 1/2 that for HO scale), but a grade is the same no matter what the scale.  So, the grades themselves will be usable.  But, it will probably severely limit the train length you can pull in either scale.  A short train is about all you can get on a small HO layout, but you could double the that train length on an N scale layout in the same space if the grades don't limit your train length to the same number of cars as in HO.