News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Problem with old Bachmann diesels

Started by kelzie, April 29, 2019, 05:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelzie

I have three older regular (white box) Bachmann diesel locomotives.  These were purchased new retail 25-30 years ago, never run and stored in a clean closet.  When I took them out recently to try them, they all ran horrible with the same problem.  They make a loud but regular rattling/rasping noise, although they do run and the lights work.  These units have the small motor mounted directly on one truck, with wires to the other (pickup only) truck.  If I can attach a video, I will do so and it will demonstrate how these units currently run.  I have lubricated the truck gears and removed/cleaned the motor brushes.  I have NOT taken the motors apart.  While they do run a little bit better, this obviously did not fix the problem!  Since I found this on 3 different locomotives (GP9, GP30, GP50) I assume this is a common problem.  Has anyone else encountered this, and if so, were you able to fix it?  I appreciate any suggestions!
Dave
PS Apparently I can't include even a tiny video (too large).  Sorry; hope this still makes sense.  If anyone knows of a way to show a short video, please let me know.

Len

What I've do with those old pancake motor diesels that have sat around for a long time is:

1. Put a drop of 'Marvel Mystery Oil' on the pinion shaft and the shaft bearing on the other side of the motor.
2. Get some of the 'MMO' behind the large gear the pinion drives.
3. Use the tip of a small flat tip screw driver to rotate the large gear by hand to make sure it's not mechanically jammed.
4. With the loco in a cradle, a shoe box with a towel in it workds, use test leads with alligator clips to apply 12VDC to the pickup wheels and let it run 2 or 3 minutes.
5. Reverse the polarity and run in the opposite direction 2 or 3 minutes.
6. Make sure the pickup wheels are clean.
7. Put it on the track and verify it runs okay.
8. Find a kid who likes trains, but doesn't have the money for a loco, and give it away.
9. Purchase a can motor loco for your own layout.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

....... OR ........

Scrap them and buy new fresh up to date motive power.

No one expects an automobile to run at all after sitting idle for 25-30 years.  Yet when model trains don't either, there is surprise that they don't run like clocks.

New engines have better motors and drive trains.  Try one.  You won't be disappointed.

rich1998

Welcome kelzie.
You need You Tube for a video and a photo hosting site like photo bucket for photos here. Instructions down below in the General Questions forum. Many never look there.

Those pancake motors were horrible. I ran a 0-6-0 Bachmann Plymouth with pancake motor on DCC but the pickups were the issue. It ran ok but noisy even with good lub.
Get a can motor loco.

Rich