News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

USRA 4-6-2 Sound Value

Started by graywolf, April 30, 2019, 03:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

One good thing about the Sound Value decoders in my 4-6-2 and 2-8-2 is that, compared to older Soundtraxx products installed in Bachmann locomotives, and in general, you don't have to doctor motor control cv's 209 and 210, and sometimes cv 212,  to get optimal smooth slow speed performance.  Like the new Tsunami2, they are already mostly perfectly set.

This problem was worst on the DCC/ Sound decapod. Nothing was set right at the factory.  When finally set right, those engines were wonderful  performers .  But too few people knew how to fix them.  Many, many , many of those beautiful engines I'm certain ended up in the trash can because they were unnecessarily misunderstood.

graywolf

Well I set CV3 to 100 & CV4 to 50 And the engine performs beautifully on starting up and stopping very smoothly. Thanks for the help. BTW I set the momentum button on the Powercab back to zero. Paul

Trainman203

While some of the detail and sound features are lacking with the mikado and the Pacific, one cannot fault their ultra-smooth mechanisms. I've chosen Bachmann engines over more finely and accurately detailed brass engines because I want to operate a railroad, not gawk at prototypically detailed non functional paperweights.

rogertra

Whats a CV?  (Joking)

I use JMRI to program all my locos.  You do not have to know what the CVs are.  JMRI does all that for you.

Trainman203

What's JMRI?  It assumes you have a PC and have/enjoy computer skills.  I have neither.  Cv's really aren't so hard to do that you need a machine to do them for you.

rogertra

Quote from: Trainman203 on May 07, 2019, 07:58:25 AM
What's JMRI?  It assumes you have a PC and have/enjoy computer skills.  I have neither.  Cv's really aren't so hard to do that you need a machine to do them for you.

JMRI is a downloadable program for programming all CVs, including those not available on Bachmann decoders.  I do not think it is compatible with Bachmann's Easy DCC control, entry level system but is compatible with the more advanced DCC control systems, NCE and Digitrax for example.
There are many more CVs available than the ones on the Bachmann decoders.  

dutchbuilder

I use a Sprog 3 with JMRI.
http://www.sprog-dcc.co.uk/
You can program CV's but also run a railroad up to 2.5 Amps.

Ton

JLK2707

JLK2707