News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RUSTY ARRIVING AT DEALERS NOW!

Started by InsideTrack, May 02, 2019, 09:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean1994rail

Quote from: SeanrailAnimations on May 31, 2019, 09:32:06 AM
Watched Duncan the Humbug today, along with the episode screenshots from the Thomas wiki, and from the shots with Skarloey, Rheneas and Rusty at the depot, Rusty does indeed seem to be smaller than Skarloey and Rheneas in the CGI Series. Maybe the size of the Bachmann Rusty is also accurate to his CGI render, not just his basis 'Midlander', after all IMO.

Looking at Duncan the Humbug screenshots again after receiving my bachmann Rusty, I can confirm that the scaling of the Bachmann Rusty is as 100% accurate to his CGI Render as his basis Midlander; notably with the roof on the CGI rusty being level to the bottom of Skarloey's front windows, just like the bachmann models.

TTL

Actually, the scaling is too the original Midlander, the proportions are that of the CGI model. Cause unlike the rest of the NG engines, bar Duncan, when they went to measure the TR engines to make their CGI models, Midlander had long since been rebuilt from the form that Rusty was based on, so they just based the CGI model off his Large scale model. As a result, Bachmann tried to do their usual thing of just altering the engines dimensions to match the TR engines in 009, but because Rusty was off, they tried to compromise and scaled him to Midlander buuut kept the CGI proportions resulting in an engine not really usable as Midlander or RWS Rusty, still, the chassis IS accurate to Midlander.
But yeah, that's why people are concerned for when it comes time to make Duncan, cause we either get a model that's close enough to Douglas or the S4 model, or we get a mix between irl, S4, and CGI, that can be worked with, or we get one based on that mess of a CGI model and a decent chassis for 009 use at the least.
Need me some Sir Handel and more Talyllyn stock.

Chaz

It's funny because at one point I think a lot of people did want a Bachmann Duncan at some point, but right when the photo of Rusty was revealed almost everybody lost interest in wanting a Duncan model, even going as far as encouraging Bachmann to skip Duncan, or expressed interest in not getting him.  Rusty I think got lucky since while the scaling is off, his CG render is miles better than Duncan's with the added details and accurate chassis.

Now that Peter Sam is on the way it seems that the only narrow gauge engine that a lot of fans have interest in Bachmann making at some point is Sir Handel.  If we get Sir Handel after Peter Sam Bachmann could probably just stick with those five engines and only focus on adding rolling stock to the range and keep the range stagnant like they are with the large scale range.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TTL

Well it also helps that Rusty is good bashing fodder for making a representation of a larger Ruston. Duncan as I said can only really go one of 2 ways, and one of those may give us 009 modelers as nice chassis to use, maybe a body good for bashing, but certainly not good for any sort of proper Duncan, S4, RWS, let alone Douglas and similar Barclay 0-4-0WTs.

Chaz

Personally I think the road they will go down (if they do make Duncan) would be a lot similar to what you just mentioned.  I could see them taking a similar direction like they did for Rusty as his physical appearance would be based on his CG render but it would have the same scaling/proportions as his basis which is noticeably a lot taller than Duncan's CG render.  It wouldn't look that good though because, again it would be based on the CG render.  Now if Duncan's render got a drastic upgrade and had more details or even had a better resemblance to his season 4 model or his basis, then would be all for a Bachmann Duncan.  For now though, I might be better off sticking with my custom Duncan for the time being. :P
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TerencetheTractor525

I completely understand everyone's concerns on a Bachmann Duncan, as I completely agree that the CGI model is awful. Yet, let's also remember that the models of the red CGI carriages left much to be desired, and after stating how much we were concerned about the Bachmann models suffering from the same problem, Bachmann pleasantly surprised us with coaches based on the ones in real-life. Plus, they even went with two toolings (red and blue coaches) to surprise fans even further.

What's more, let's take into account that the real-life model of Rusty (Midlander) has extremely noticeable differences not only in terms of proportions, but also in terms of shape, unlike Duncan (Douglas) and the narrow gauge carriages. For this reason, I see Duncan in the same boat as the narrow gauge coaches, and not Rusty. Consequently, I think that there is still a good chance that Duncan could be based on his basis (Douglas), and not the terrible CGI render.

As a result, I think that Bachmann should still invest in Duncan to complete the main six narrow gauge engines. We just have to be vocal about the fact that the CGI render is way off so that his model could be based on his basis, just like the narrow gauge coaches. Will even start a new thread on Duncan if he is announced in the future to make sure that this issue is addressed  ;).
Dreaming of a Bachmann Stepney.

TTL

Quote from: Chaz on December 16, 2019, 01:26:21 AM
Personally I think the road they will go down (if they do make Duncan) would be a lot similar to what you just mentioned.  I could see them taking a similar direction like they did for Rusty as his physical appearance would be based on his CG render but it would have the same scaling/proportions as his basis which is noticeably a lot taller than Duncan's CG render.  It wouldn't look that good though because, again it would be based on the CG render.  Now if Duncan's render got a drastic upgrade and had more details or even had a better resemblance to his season 4 model or his basis, then would be all for a Bachmann Duncan.  For now though, I might be better off sticking with my custom Duncan for the time being. :P
Aye. Well a relatively prominent kit maker is planning on a Barclay 0-4-0WT range in the future. It'll be a base standard boiler and other standard parts but with options to make it into different variants seen, going from the more standard "Irish Pete" type, if you get what I mean, to Douglas, who of course appeals to me especially. To start with it'll just be a body kit for fitting on that Kato N scale set with the unpowered 0-4-0 and powered coach, as part of a planned 009 Starter set using said Kato set. It's hoped he'll be able to develop a bespoke chassis for the range, available in either RTR and/or kit form, so here's hoping that happens.
And yeah, I've had the GEM Douglas for years now. I bought it after a scare that they'd sold out for good, course GEM has since started production again on a made to order basis. Never built it though cause the Arnold chassis it uses is hard to find and overpriced when found. When I found a decent one a couple months ago, yeah, stories about it's running were true. Ironically, it had some imbalance in the wheels that made it rock'n'roll, so it was quickly sent back.

mulfred-100

See I'll openly admit I'm in the camp of wanting Duncan and I don't really mind them using the CGI render to make him as for me it's just benaficial having Duncan in my CGI line up as there's more material and stories I can work with to recreate or do my own around. I mean in my Skarloey railway series I've already got a Duncan episode wrote out. I just wait and see what Bachmann makes and buy said item. But that's me I'm laid back like that