News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

bachman direction switch box

Started by ForEverAutistic, May 14, 2019, 07:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForEverAutistic

i was wondering can i use other types of direction switch boxes or switch machines other then the bachmanman direction switch box -type a - type b. because i have 5 type b and 4 dont work  and i dont like type a because it makes the turnout buzz and i read on diffent sites its 1 not good for the turnouts and 2 they burnout the turnouts .and bachmann has been sold out of out of the type b and said it will be a long time before they get them so they can sell the junky type a ones.i have 11 turnouts on my layout .the dcc turnouts cost a lot and  all i need is direction or switch type machine for my ho turnouts. >:(

jward

Another viable option is the Atlas #56 switch control box. It is similar to the bachmann in design, but uses screw instead of plug in terminals.

You could also use Spdt electrical switches with momentary contacts, of individual push buttons.

Keep in mind that ANY of the above will burn out your switch motors if you leave the circuit connected too long. Twin coil type switch motors like you have are designed to receive an instantaneous shot of electricity. If energized too long, the coils overheat and burn out. The trick is not to hold the buttons down too long when you throw them.

A much more complicated method is to use a capacitor discharge circuit to limit the time the coils can be energized; This will prevent burnout.

as for the buzz you hear, i wouldn't worry about it. They all do that.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

A Circitron Snapper

A CIRCUITRON Snapper is a capacitor discharge circuit and not complicated to use. Two wire in. Two wires out. Comes with instructions. Uses the AC from the Bachmann power pack to fire the turnouts with no chance to burn out the twin coils. Google the name.
Some years ago I made my own. Google capacitor discharge unit. There are circuits online. Large capacitor and a couple resistors. Of course, proper values. I had a nice junk box.

Rich

A CIRCUITRON Snapper