News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Craftsman Boxcar Kit

Started by jonathan, May 17, 2019, 05:17:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

As most of  you know, I had to take down my layout some time back.  Getting ready for a move coming up in the future.  

The itch was driving me crazy so I had to build something... lest I fade into nothingness.  :)

So, here is a Westerfield kit.  Not my favorite, because one usually has to connect the under-frame to the main body while building.  Makes painting a bit harder in the end.

This is suppose to be a B&O M-15J boxcar. Interesting (to me only), as these were the frames used to start fashioning the M-53 Wagontop boxcars.  Many M-15's survived... 6 made it all the way to 1964.

DSC_1503 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1504 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1505 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I'm a little out of practice (and getting older). The build is not as sharp as I'd like. Should still look OK from a foot or two away:

DSC_1506 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

With a coat of primer:

DSC_1507 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Hoping to get it all painted and decorated over the weekend.  Depends on the weather (humidity affects drying time).

More photos as the boxcar gets completed.

Regards,

Jonathan

Ken Huck

Sweet !  Really like all the linkage and fiddley bits.

Ken

WoundedBear

Nice work Jon. Glad you're back at the bench!

Sid

jonathan

Thanks guys. Feels good to dip my toes back in.

Regards,

Jonathan

J3a-614

Glad to see you back again, too!

Good luck on the new road when the time comes.

jonathan

Thanks J3a!  Looking forward to a new layout.  Hopefully not a long wait.

OK. I can really recommend Scalecoat II spray paint.  They go on with an incredibly fine mist... something about their special nozzle I think.  I used Boxcar Red #3.  It's a bit dark, but after weathering with light powders, should be OK:

DSC_1513 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I can pull those mystery fibers off once the paint is cured.

I hate waiting, but this paint really needs to set for a couple days before I start to decal:
DSC_1512 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Because the model is completed in one finished piece, I had to turn the body upside down, paint the underframe first, then finish with the roof.  The sides end up getting two coats which is fine:

DSC_1509 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I hate waiting. :)

Regards,

Jonathan

WoundedBear

I'm too lazy to look it up, so is Scalecoat II a water based paint or solvent? It's a brand that I have never seen in Canada.

Sid

jonathan

Sid

It's a solvent.  Hard to find in the U.S. too.  Used to be a standard in Hobby Shops, but then no more hobby shops... I think I ordered it from "modeltrainstuff". But I can't remember for sure.

One day I'm going to have to break down and get an airbrush system.  Pretty low on my priority list though. ;)

Regards,

Jonathan   

the Bach-man

Dear All,
Scalecoat is readily available from the new owner, Minuteman Scale Models:

https://www.minutemanscalemodels.com/

They not only have the previous colors but are expanding the line!

Have fun!
the Bach-man

RAM

jonathan

Yes it is.  I used to use Tamiya paints as a substitute. It did a great job.  But my local Hobby Shop closed, so...

Anyway, I just finished.  Here are a few final shots.  I really went heavy on the weathering powders, as they tend to mellow over time.  Enjoy.

Regards,

Jonathan

DSC_1524 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1520 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1519 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1517 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_1516 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Terry Toenges

It looks real good. I always admire your work.
Feel like a Mogul.

jonathan

Thanks, Terry.

Likewise, I have been following your layout threads over the years with great interest.

Regards,

Jonathan