News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding sound to DCC on Board locomotive

Started by ryanbp01, May 17, 2019, 09:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanbp01

Hi,

I have a DD40X with DCC on Board.   How do I add sound to it?

WoundedBear

You replace the factory decoder with a suitable diesel sound decoder and add a speaker.

Sid

rich1998

Welcome.

SoundTraxx suggest a decoder number and speaker for the DD40AX. Check their decoder selector.
I assume this DD40X is an older version.
The Bachmann diagram shows a decoder and two speakers in the DD40AX onboard sound diagram.

How does it run?
Back in I think 2007 or 2008 some guy in another forum converted his from four wheel to six wheel drive and new motors. for 22  inch radius instead of 18 inch radius and better running.

Rich

rich1998

That is what I was looking at. I was not sure about the sound board though.
Some Bachmann locos show a sound board which is only sound and not a decoder. Good to know.

Rich

ryanbp01

Well, I went ahead and ordered both the sound decoder and the speaker/fuel tank, but no instructions.  The locomotive as it is, is DCC only.  The number is 6910.  Where would I be able to get written instructions on attaching the speaker and the new board?  I don't want to foul this up.
BPR

rich1998

I figured you had DCC experience. Usually instructions do not come with decoder. Too many possibilities.  Manufactures expect modelers to know what they are doing.
Look back a couple messages to see what one person did. One wire at a time. Document everything. Take photos.
Be careful. Bachmann does not use NMRA color wires. I have some Bachmann locos. I had to go through this but I have experience and I followed the NMRA details..
Soldering experience can be helpful.
I have no idea your level of experience. I started out some years ago with a lot of research online and the 4-4-0.
I eventually moved up to different diesels and decoders.

Rich