Bachmann Spectrum Clinchfield 2-8-0, won’t move

Started by Trainman13, May 25, 2019, 01:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman13

If anyone can help me out here I'd like to figure out how I could fix this very odd issue that I noticed with a Bachman 2-8-0 I purchased at the big e train show a few months back. (Also I just wanna give a heads up to anyone reading, I'm kind of new to HO stuff. So I apologize if I don't use the correct terminology for parts. I'm used to O gauge) anyways the  locomotive itself looks brand new and I wouldn't have suspected a thing with this locomotive. I took it home, went to a model club to see if I could find out if it was DCC or DCC ready. A club member and I found out it was DCC ready but needed a chip. So we stuck it on the track and switched the power to "DC" I gave it some power and all it did was make a weird noise. It was as if the motor was spinning but it wasn't catching on the wheels. So I gave it to the club member I was with and he took it apart and after finally removing the top part of the locomotive, he told me everything looked normal from there. But I couldn't been something internally. The wheels spun normally when rolled without the locomotive together. He even said that the bands or whatever the motor usually spins on looked fine. Should I send it in to Bachmann? I'm not sure what to do, the club member that helped me is the guy we go to for help with fixing locomotives or adding DCC. He told me that steam locomotives aren't his best fit when it comes to working on locos. So even he was stuck on why it wouldn't run. Thanks again in advance for any feedback or help given!  :D
Some say its a waste of time to drive 8 hrs once a month just to gain some more railroad knowledge and experience.....I believe it's a labor of joy and perseverance. One day it'll all come together. Keep movin' forward!

Trainman203

Bachmann won't send you the Clinchfield engine back.  They will replace it with something "of equal value."  Which means you "might" get a new 2-8-0 back, but it won't be Clinchfield if that matters to you.  You could get anything thought to be equal.  And you don't get asked if the swap is ok.  I sent a modern (1900 era) Richmond 4-4-0 back once and got an 1860's "Jupiter " 4-4-0 back.  When I called about it, the repair department response was "it's still a 4-4-0, right?"  They finally gave me another Richmond engine but it took more aggravation than I wanted.

How many times do I have to say it here .... a used engine is a "pig in a poke."

If you want a clinchfield engine that runs, your best bet is to buy another 2-8-0, NEW, known to run and carrying a guarantee,  from a discount house ($89.95 is a typical price) , and swapping the shells.  You then have an engine that runs and a parts reservoir, and a spare tender for some future project.

Sorry to tell you, but replacement rather than repair is the game in today's model railroad world.  Once something breaks, it basically goes in the dumpster.

rich1998

Sory to hear of your experience.
I live near the Big E.
The Bachmann 2-8-0 has good reviews. Someone messed with it.
Bachmann will probably not send back the same shell but they are good for returns though they could do a repair. Call first if it is not in bad shape.
I got the same shell back for a 44 ton HO but not a popular loco. It was a two motor 44 ton and they sent me a DCC ready single motor 44 ton, same shell. Lucky I guess.

Rich

Len

It sounds like the drive belt between the motor and worm gear is broken or missing. You can see it in the parts diagram here:
https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H114X-IS001.PDF

Replacements are available from the parts department:
https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_86&products_id=925&zenid=u2cc8uvbnbq5eataghjin1fai4

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

rich1998

If you are mechanically inclined or know someone who is, this can be repaired fairly easily with the above diagram. This loco has had may good reports over the years here and in other forums. Some here are very helpful with this type of info.

Rich

Trainman13

Thanks for the help!! I don't mind if at worst I have to send it in and they send me a different 2-8-0 for whatever the value is. Also I'll look at that diagram, odd as it is, I forgot to mention that it didn't come with the instruction manual. If I can't fix it I'll probably send it in and see if I can get another one with the value. I actually asked around through friends if they knew if they did that and they weren't sure. Good to know now!  ;)
Some say its a waste of time to drive 8 hrs once a month just to gain some more railroad knowledge and experience.....I believe it's a labor of joy and perseverance. One day it'll all come together. Keep movin' forward!

Trainman203

Good luck with your engine. I'm sorry to hear that your early experience is a little rough, but Model railroading is a wonderful pastime that is a lifelong source of entertainment, pleasure, and learning too, history, craft and art.

Trainman13

Thanks! I've been into model railroading actually since 4yrs old! My first train set was a lifelike ho scale train set, which was given to me on my first Christmas. Here's a photo of the loco, which if it weren't for the flash capturing the dust it looks really good overall in person! ;) (I also should mention again that I just got into using HO more and more, if it wasn't for the model club I think I'd probably be still back with the O-27 more often then HO.)

Searsport

Just a point regarding body shell swaps - Bachmann have changed their electrical connections between loco and tender. The older Bachmann stuff had a 4-pin connector and a 2-pin, total 6 pins. The new stuff mostly has a single 8-pin connector. So you can't just plug an old tender into a new loco chassis - I fould this when looking at tender swaps between the old and new 4-6-0s. You may have to swap your Clinchfield tender body onto your new 2-8-0 tender chassis, but tender bodies don't always fit newer chassis either, or you may need to take the circuit boards and 8-pin connector from your new loco and put it into your Clinchfield tender, again if it will fit!

Good luck,
Bill.

rich1998

Quote from: Trainman13 on May 27, 2019, 12:08:08 AM
Thanks! I've been into model railroading actually since 4yrs old! My first train set was a lifelike ho scale train set, which was given to me on my first Christmas. Here's a photo of the loco, which if it weren't for the flash capturing the dust it looks really good overall in person! ;) (I also should mention again that I just got into using HO more and more, if it wasn't for the model club I think I'd probably be still back with the O-27 more often then HO.)

Look down a ways to the General Questions forum for instructions on posting a photo. You need a photo hosting site.

Look in the Parts page for the HO 2-8-0 for the diagram of the loco. You will also see many of the parts.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=68_86&zenid=q27mtkq0s7lbucqetl55pqc1c5

Rich

Trainman13

JLK2707

rogertra

Speaking pf tender swaps.   Back in Spectrum days, I've not bought bachmann since the discontinued Spectrum.  Bachmann didn't standardize on the placement of the tender connections and or decoders.  So I always kept the tender chassis, with the decoder, with it's original loca and just swapped tender bodies.

Irbricksceo

Quote from: Searsport on June 01, 2019, 08:07:16 AM
Just a point regarding body shell swaps - Bachmann have changed their electrical connections between loco and tender. The older Bachmann stuff had a 4-pin connector and a 2-pin, total 6 pins. The new stuff mostly has a single 8-pin connector. So you can't just plug an old tender into a new loco chassis - I fould this when looking at tender swaps between the old and new 4-6-0s. You may have to swap your Clinchfield tender body onto your new 2-8-0 tender chassis, but tender bodies don't always fit newer chassis either, or you may need to take the circuit boards and 8-pin connector from your new loco and put it into your Clinchfield tender, again if it will fit!

Good luck,
Bill.

Just out of curiosity, this true across their lineup? if so, thats fantastic news, i've never liked the 4+2 plus, in fact i have a 2-10-0 out for repair right now that had the plugs fail and i couldnt fix it myself, though i did make an attempt. sadly, since the russian hasnt been made in years, despite it being one of my favorites, i have no idea what i'll get back since i'd be SHOCKED if they fix it. Might track down another russian at some point but the aftermarket on those is rough since they were notoriously finicky engines with lots of issues. i'd repaired this one three times for differnet issues as is
Modeling NYC in N