News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ALCo 2-6-0 DCC Sound Onboard not working

Started by slufoot, May 25, 2019, 07:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slufoot

I have a PRR ALCo 2-6-0 with DCC and Sound OnBoard, #51801. I've owned this loco for about two years. It sits on my layout with a short freight train in tow. It operates for about an hour or so each month. Even when I am operating other locos it it still sits on a live track. Recently I went to operate it and found there is NO sound. The loco rubs fine, forward, reverse, and the headlights work fine. But there is no sound of any kind.
I tried reprogramming it, setting it back to default, etc. Nothing changes.....it runs but no sound. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I really like this little engine. It's very disappointing that the sound is gone.
Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Kevin

WoundedBear

A broken wire to the speaker possibly?

Sid

slufoot

Strong possibility. I haven't disassembled anything yet but that is the next step. Thought I might get some suggestions first. With this computer technology you never know.

emde5

F8 mutes and unmutes the sound on a lot of sound decoders.  Dont think unmute is a word but oh well.

slufoot

Trainman203

I've had Sound Value decoders in two moguls die.  Even when working right, Sound Value decoders are steam on a starvation diet, and anorexic to say the least.  Anyone who's been around steam engines knows what I mean.  Put a Tsunami2-2 in and celebrate steam power properly.

rich1998

The below link shows what you should see inside if you care to take the tender cover off. There might be plastic clips on the decoder PC board for holding the wires in place. Sometime soldered. The speaker is under as you can see.

https://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/HO_260_DCC_sound_.pdf

Rich

rogertra

One one of mine the valve gear fell apart.  On the other, the DCC failed.  I combined the two together and now have one working loco, the other parts are on their way to Bachmann who said I could keep the loco and temder bodies as they have been customized, which was very good of them.

rich1998

That does show good communication with Bachmann does make a difference. Great to hear.

I would suggest the OP call the Bachmann service department after the holiday. There is a phone number but be patient.

Rich

JanCarr

Kevin: My guess is that your problem is where the speaker wires connect to the decoder circuit board in the tender.  I say this because all the connections to the decoder are the same and they recently caused me trouble - flickering loco lamp and intermittent motor. Investigating, I eliminated the loco as a problem and opened up the tender. The way the wires are connected to the decoder circuit board is a failure waiting to happen.  The stripped end of each wires is poked up from beneath through a hole and bent over to make contact with a copper pad on top. It is then held in place with a plastic clip. I found some of the wires were bent in the wrong direction so that the contact was loosened instead of tightened when the clip was pushed on. But regardless, oxidation over time will impair the electrical contact. I recommend soldering these wires to the copper pads.

Jan

slufoot

Well, I appreciate all the suggestions.
I opened the tender and found all the wires 'appeared' solid. They were held in place with those push on clips. I removed the clips and soldered each one to its respective tab. Looked at everything else but found nothing that seemed loose or damaged. Reassembled everything and tested. Same issue. Engine runs find, headlight works, no sound.
I considered simply replacing with a new decoder but at my age.....I've had enough of that. Time to send it in and see what Bachmann can do for me.

Trainman203

Have a pro tech install your new decoder.  I have a guy does my install for $50. It works right the first  time, and you don't have to replace the decoder you fried trying to get it wired right but didn't.