Williams GP-7-104 diesel loco

Started by Midwest Central, May 26, 2019, 04:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midwest Central

I just got a like new Williams GP-7-104 diesel loco, Rock Island # 1280.  But it will not move.  The power hums, the lights shine, but the power truck seems to be frozen or jammed,  I can't even get them to wiggle.  On the non powered truck, the wheels did not turn, but I was able to turn them loose.  They look almost dry, but I hesitate to squirt oil into the gears.  I do not have a book.
What do you suggest?  Thanks.  I may be off and on here.

Trainman203

"Like new" is the giveaway here.  Turned out not to be.  They usually do.  Every week I have to say it. .... BEWARE, O BEWARE OF USED ENGINES.  They are a "pig in a poke".

Len

You'd probably do better posting this over in the "Williams by Bachmann" forum.

That said, something doesn't sound right. All of the Williams GP-7/9's I've seen were two motor units. There should be a screw at each end of the loco that holds the shell on. Pull the shell and check to see if a motor was removed, and wires left dangling.

If you look on the bottom of the trucks, you'll see a flat head screw that holds the motor in place. If you remove the screw, you should be able to remove the motor to clean out any hardened grease on the worm gear and worm wheel. Electrical contact cleaner, available at most hardware stores, works well for this. You'll probably want to do it outdoors, as the fumes can stink the place up. And old toothbrush and toothpick are handy for cleaning the worm wheel teeth. While the motor is out, you should also be able to free up the wheels and get them rolling again.

While the motor is out, apply power to the pickup and chassis to make sure it spins freely. If it does, apply fresh grease and oil, reassemble and have fun.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Midwest Central

Thanks fellows.  I did look at instructions from another Williams engine, I think these are both pre-Bachmann.  This gave me the courage to open it up.  The shell does come off with one screw on either end of the hood.  There is only one motor on the "front" truck, no dangling wires on the other truck nor signs of a second motor.  Anyway I oiled the axel ends on both trucks and then by turning the flywheel was able to loosen the gears, clean them and grease them.  After a little stiffness the engine runs well.  I ran it in both directions for about an hour.  The instructions said that they do not oil the axel ends and buyer should.
Happy model railroading.