Need shell for Spectrum 2-8-0 locomotive for project...

Started by DaveGard, June 04, 2019, 12:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveGard

Don't know if a "wanted" post is allowable (I didn't see anything in the terms and conditions saying it wasn't allowed)... but moderators may delete this post if it violates policies...

I am in need of a Spectrum 2-8-0 locomotive shell (N scale, or course!) for a kit-bash. If you have a spare shell or derelict 2-8-0 that you can spare, please contact me. Any road name... I can strip and repaint as necessary (tho' black would be preferable to colors).

Thanks!
Dave

spookshow

Have you tried contacting the Bachmann parts department directly? They sometimes wind up with oddball stuff that doesn't make it into the parts listings on the website (like from when people return defective locos).

-Mark

DaveGard

Yes. The Bachmann parts department rep said everything they have is on the website.

Maletrain

Looking at the Bachmann parts website, I see tender shells listed for the "2-8-0".  So, did you not find those, or are you looking for a different version? 

Spookshow or the Bach Man could probably do a better job than I can for describing the various versions of the "Specrtum" USRA Medium Tenders that Bachmann has produced.  But, from what I can remember from what I have read, the newest version and the oldest version are different, and I think there may also be another version between them.  The version in the Bachmann 2-8-0 parts listing has an "insert" as well as a "shell", which I think is the original version.

We don't know what your particular project is, so you will have to decide what shell version is best for your purposes.  Once you know that, you could also look at the parts for other Bachmann locomotives that use the USRA Medium design, which may be the version you are looking for, even if the ones listed under "2-8-0" are not what you want.  There are still plenty of shells listed.  At this time, the parts website even has a 4-6-0 medium tender shell listed for $11 under "New Products for June - N parts".

DaveGard

Sorry, I should have been more precise (I'll change the post title if I still can)... I need the LOCO shell for a Bachmann Spectrum series 2-8-0.

I am planning a bash of my 2-8-0 to resemble (but probably not match perfectly) UP #618. That will require removing/moving the sand dome and all sand piping. I don't really want to start that w/o a backup shell,  in case I manage to screw it up...

Sorry for the confusion.

Maletrain

From Spookshow's website: "To remove the tender shell, well... the first version's tender is (apart from the top) a single casting, so there is no way to separate the shell from the chassis. However, the second version's tender shell does come off - just stick a small screwdriver into the opening where the wires go and pry upwards. This should free the clips on the shell from the chassis.

And, you still haven't indicated why the various USRA Medium Tender shells that are available on Bachmann's parts site aren't what you are looking for.

DaveGard

Ummm... because I need the shell for the locomotive?

Quote from: DaveGard on June 06, 2019, 01:41:10 PM
Sorry, I should have been more precise (I'll change the post title if I still can)... I need the LOCO shell for a Bachmann Spectrum series 2-8-0.

I am planning a bash of my 2-8-0 to resemble (but probably not match perfectly) UP #618. That will require removing/moving the sand dome and all sand piping. I don't really want to start that w/o a backup shell,  in case I manage to screw it up...

Sorry for the confusion.

Maletrain

Sorry, not sure where I got the idea that you wanted a tender shell.  I see that the loco shells are sold out.  Try looking under "parts" and "repair" for "N scale 2-8-0 on eBay for a while.  Something may come up.