News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Electrical problems with EZ Track

Started by navyrat57, June 09, 2019, 02:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

navyrat57

I am a new modeler and am building an 10'x5' layout.  The terminal rerailers are dead spots and the rails above the plug in spark when an engine (any engine I use) passes it.  I have switched the track and controller, but no difference.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

Shipmate,

Certain locomotives, like the USRA 0-6-0, have a hard time passing over rerailer  EZ track, because the plastic parts on the track and the plastic parts on the locomotive rub against each other.  This causes the wheels to lift ever so slightly off the rails, causing sparks, and/or loss of power to the loco.

One can sand down the center portion of the rerailer and/or sand just a hair's width off the bottom of the loco underframe. 

This is the most common problem with rerailer track.  May or may not be your problem, as I can't see your layout.

Also, even new track needs cleaning... just sayin'.

Regards,

Jonathan

Gearedenginefreak

If you have ever tried to sweat copper pipe that "looks" new or shiny and have experienced the frustration of trying to get your joints to solder quickly, cleanly and solidly; then you will understand that new track is still dirty from oxidation that occurs naturally in the environment and needs to be cleaned.  If you dont have track cleaner, just use a hard rubber pencil eraser.
It may not totally solve your entire problem, but it will not hurt it either.

Tom