RS-3 Lights up but doesn't run

Started by Hughie, June 11, 2019, 03:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hughie

I have a N Scale Bachmann RS-3 with DCC. (Boston and Maine 1505). When placed on track it lights up but will not move. Lights actually change direction but no movement, not even a motor hum. I've change CV-8 to 8, no result, changed CV-8 to 33, no result. After each attempt to change CV-8 when reading it is always 101. Is there any way to revive my loco.

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Hughie

Digitrax, Zephyr. I have 2 other Bachmann RS-3's which all run well.

jward

I also use this system. Try a 1000 ohm resistor across the rails of your program track and do the default reset again.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rich1998

I saw a few years ago I saw in the forums when you do CV8, enter 8 to cycle track power. The headlight should flash sixteen times I believe and the loco run on address 3.

Rich

Hunt

Hughie,

CV 8 is never set to 8 and even if it were --- realize  CV 8 programmed with 8 resets the decoder CVs to their default value. For the decoder in your locomotive CV 8 factory default is 101 thus it is normal for it to  read as 101.

An aside ---
Quote from: rich1998 on June 13, 2019, 12:19:57 PM

I saw a few years ago I saw in the forums when you do CV8, enter 8 to cycle track power. The headlight should flash sixteen times I believe and the loco run on address 3.

Rich

Rich, decoder (CV 8 = 101)  is  a non sound  decoder manufactured by Bachmann. Lights flashing 16 times to indicate successful  decoder  reset  is applicable to SoundTraxx  sound decoders Bachmann factory installs.