News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Buy an 0-6-0

Started by gmhtrains, June 11, 2019, 12:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmhtrains

I am very interested in purchasing an 0-6-0 as it looks far more like a 1950's locomotive than the 2-6-0. However, if I buy a brand new model in a never-opened box, what is the likelihood that it will run on DC without having to be reprogrammed by someone with DCC capability? Also, does the tender's coal load have to be carved out, or does it come with a drop-in oil bunker?

Mid-20th Century Modeler

WoundedBear

You should have no issues on DC with any of Bachman's offerings of an 0-6-0.

Which model are you considering?

Sid

gmhtrains

I would be looking at the unlettered/undecorated 0-6-0 as my private roadname is the Yaquina Belt Line. This is a coastal switching line, modeled after San Francisco's former State Belt Railroad, but moved 500 miles north to Newport, OR, on Yaquina Bay. Growing up in the 1950's, I always saw one or two freighters in port, being loaded with lumber. Seventy years later the port is still home to a good sized commercial fishing fleet, but the mills that the freighters serviced are all gone. Hence the reason I want a '50's era locomotive.

I operate only 22-foot and shorter rolling stock, including Bachmann, Mount Blue and Wiseman cars and close to 15 of my own scratchbuilt, swayback boxcars. I am currently developing a switching game in which each freight car will be paired with a color-coded 12-sided die and a roll of the dice will determine which spur and loading spot the car will be delivered to. This action on a 4' by 3' tabletop layout is intended to show viewers at public shows that a small railroad can be as much fun as a large one. The local HO club, of which I am a member, takes its 30' by 30' modular layout to shopping malls and the county fair, but the layout has no industrial sidings nor switching areas. Club members simply set up their trains in the 14-track yard and run them non-stop for an hour. Then it is someone else's turn to run for an hour. To provide some variety I make a point to operate different appearing trains than most of the others, running only 1975-83 era Mexican freight cars, including a couple of sound-equipped cattle cars.

Gil 

dutchbuilder

When you are going to run on DC be aware that the locomotive will start only after the operating voltage of the electronics has been reached.
Normally 5 Volts.

A much more economical solution is to look for a good second hand DC 2-6-0 and do the amputation..... conversion yourself to a 0-6-0 as it is the same model with some minor modifications.

Ton

Flare

Quote from: dutchbuilder on June 13, 2019, 03:07:53 PM
When you are going to run on DC be aware that the locomotive will start only after the operating voltage of the electronics has been reached.
Normally 5 Volts.

A much more economical solution is to look for a good second hand DC 2-6-0 and do the amputation..... conversion yourself to a 0-6-0 as it is the same model with some minor modifications.

Ton

I've modified a few analog 2-6-0s:  The front wheels are held on by a single screw, and ShapeWays sells a 3D-Printed yard pilot that looks similar to the 0-6-0 and will accept a working coupler.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/JCFH643CR/on30-bachmann-2-6-0-replacement-pilot?optionId=61800366

JLK2707

Sounds great Flare!:)