DCC Decoder for old 4-4-0 Central Pacific #60 Jupiter (SKU 51124)?

Started by AlanMintaka, June 11, 2019, 07:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanMintaka

Hello Everyone,

I'm toying with the idea of converting an old HO layout to DCC.  Two of the steam locos are old 4-4-0 Union Pacific #119 and Central Pacific #60 (Jupiter).  The Bachmann SKU for the Jupiter is 51124.  I don't have the SKU for the #119.

I was wondering if there's even a DCC decoder available that could be installed in these locos.  I did a search here on Bachmann and didn't find anything I recognized.  

Please bear with me on this one.  I haven't looked into DCC for these locos since ~2005 so I'm essentially very new at this.  

If more info about my layout and locos needs to be posted, please let me know.

Thanks for your time,
Alan Mintaka

"I believe a leaf of grass
is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
--Walt Whitman

rich1998

About ten year ago I put a N scale Lenz decoder in one tender drive Bachmann. A Mantua General and a IHC tender drive 4-4-0. Photo Bucket photos gone. Sorry.
You better make all four wheels on the tenders pickup.
Today a DZ126 decoder would be a better choice. Good for one amp and quite small.
About six years ago a put the little older DZ125 in a 44 ton two motor 44 ton. Both decoders quite small. Google DZ126. I thinks about twenty dollars.

Hminky here has experience with these locos and has done quite well with them and I have.
If you like experimenting, look at the link.

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/bachmann_4-4-0/sound/

Shapeways sells different parts for the locos. Google Shapeways Bachmann parts.

Rich

rich1998

I also got oval can motors at the time out of old CD drives from desktop computers.same size ID shaft as the motor in the Bachmann's. I am looking at one on my bench right now. They ran fine.

Rich

AlanMintaka

Quote from: WoundedBear on June 11, 2019, 07:23:34 PM
I would toss the old tender drive models and buy the new DCC Sound set.
https://www.micromark.com/Bachmann-Transcontinental-w-Digital-Sound-Limited-Edition-Train-Set-HO-Scale
Sid

Hi Sid,

Yes, I ran across the micromark set in my wanderings.  It's definitely an excellent set and the combined price is a little lower than Bachmann's total for the two separate locos.  But it's still $529.95, which is way beyond my budget these days.  In fact the money issue is the main reason I'm looking into decoders.

Also, I'd be loathe to just toss the old models because even those weren't cheap back when I had a day job.  If I can ever scrounge the bucks somehow, part of plan B is to try to unload them at the local hobby shop and get at least some of the money back.

In addition to the 4-4-0's, I have a few of those "classic" Bachmann sets such as the DeWitt Clinton and John Bull.  At first uninformed glance, adding decoders to those things looks just plain impossible.  Last time I took a serious look at them, they were both tender-driven too.  In fact the tender wheels are the powered ones; the front wheels are just free spinning without a drive shaft or gearing of some kind.  I've taken that to mean that any drive wheel mechanics are also in the tenders, so there's even less room any decoder add-ons.  Maybe in the locos, or even some kind of customized car behind the tender?

But one thing at a time, first the 4-4-0's.  Between now and whenever (if ever) I can afford the new DCC sets I have to give decoders a try so I can afford to eat.

Thanks for that link to the micromark set, now I won't have to go searching again when I forget where it is, iow later today.  Wounded Bear website is going in the archives too, will explore when I get time this eve.  From what I've seen already it's a good website design function-wise.  Efficient, gets the job done, no damn flash/media popups on every mouseover. 

Have a good one,
Alan Mintaka

--Walt Whitman

AlanMintaka

Quote from: Terry Toenges on June 11, 2019, 07:43:45 PM
If you want to do it yourself, here are threads that talk about it.
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=install+decoder+bachmann+4-4-0&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Quote from: rich1998 on June 11, 2019, 11:10:32 PM
...You better make all four wheels on the tenders pickup. Today a DZ126 decoder would be a better choice. Good for one amp and quite small.
About six years ago a put the little older DZ125 in a 44 ton two motor 44 ton. Both decoders quite small. Google DZ126. I thinks about twenty dollars.
Hminky here has experience with these locos and has done quite well with them and I have.
...http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/bachmann_4-4-0/sound/

Hi Terry and Rich,

Thanks for all the great advice and links.  I'll explore all of it this eve, definitely, especially the "twenty dollars" DZ126.   Did I mention the huge money issue on this project?  It's driving everything these days.

BTW Rich, what's the "44 ton two motor" loco?  Is that an HO model?

Have a good one,
Alan Mintaka

--Walt Whitman

rich1998

Quote from: AlanMintaka on June 12, 2019, 11:36:03 AM
https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=install+decoder+bachmann+4-4-0&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

...You better make all four wheels on the tenders pickup. Today a DZ126 decoder would be a better choice. Good for one amp and quite small.

Hi Terry and Rich,

Thanks for all the great advice and links.  I'll explore all of it this eve, definitely, especially the "twenty dollars" DZ126.   Did I mention the huge money issue on this project?  It's driving everything these days.

Have a good one,

rich1998

Quote from: rich1998 on June 12, 2019, 02:10:41 PM
Quote from: AlanMintaka on June 12, 2019, 11:36:03 AM

Hi Terry and Rich,

Have a good one,

Yes, the Bachmann 44 ton is a single motor but I think now is a single motor DCC on board. Mine came DCC ready single motor and I converted tp LokSound.
Hminky has the old tender drive running good and I did also but you have to be good at modifying locos.
You might do better buying the new DCC sound versions. Your choice. Depends on your level of experience. Not trying to discourage you.

Rich

indian_hills_r_r

I know some people don't like digitrax but I just bought a new Bachmann 4-4-0 American #119. I have used them in the past and have no problems. I put digitrax dh165IP decoders into #119. granted they aren't sound but for now I just want them to move. I also use the dh165IP in my hieslers . any engine with little space gets one.

rich1998

If you like tinkering, you can easily Google these decoders for specs and size. Hmimky did fine tune tune tender drive locos, tenders and I did.
Sound will be difficult so buy the new with the motor in the boiler.
Shapeways has mods for these locos. Be adventurous, different.

Rich

Trainman203

I'm newly retired from state service so I understand totally about $$$$$ 😱

However, I also don't like throwing good money after bad.  Someone tell me if I am wrong, but don't those earlier run Jupiters and 119s have oversized flanges?  And with tender drive, doesn't the tender want to torque over and slant when starting up?  Plus, as already stated, motors in tenders leave no room for future sound installs.  I haven't looked lately, but something is making me think that the new pony trucks and pilot are more refined also.  I invite corrections if needed.

If it was me, I'd wait until the new run set appears on eBay if it hasn't already.  Someone is going to want to dump one cheap at some point.

rich1998

I ran HO code 100 track. Mantua  General tender drive and IHC tender drive along with Bachmann tender drive but with many years of model railroad experience so not an issue. The General had an upgraded can motor before they were sold to another company. As I said, at the time I loved tinkering.

Rich