News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Covered bridge 45992

Started by Terry Toenges, June 15, 2019, 02:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Does anyone know what the dimensions are for Bachmann's O scale covered bridge - #45992? How long are the walls? (The floor with the ramps are one piece and I wouldn't use that.) How wide is it? How tall?
I'm wondering if they are big enough to where I could butt two of them together end to end for my loco shed. I'd probably have to shorten one of them. If they are wide enough, I could raise them up on a foundation if they weren't tall enough.
Feel like a Mogul.

WoundedBear

You could scratchbuild something like that easily, using stripwood from Michael's. Buy the basswood, balsa is useless for structure modeling.

Sid

Terry Toenges

I probably could but I am not a "craftsman". Your talents in building things like that far exceed mine as witnessed by that building you did and put the pics on here. I realize the bridge looks ratty and if I built it, it would look ratty.
Someone just informed me that Bachmann's bridge is 11" long by 4" wide by 4 1/4" high. That is real close to the dimensions I was looking for. I actually needed 13" long but I could add a 2" extension on back since both ends are open. Something like a box high enough to clear the back of the tender and then flat wall above that.
I can just cut off the ramps. After I do that, I have two options.
Option one: Since it will be a piece of 3" E-Z Track leading up to it coming from the apron, that looks like the floor might be the right height so I won't have do any shimming. I'll just lay regular track inside.
or
Option two: To not use the floor at all and run the E-Z Track all the way in. I'll be putting two layers of 1/4" foam sheet between the tracks around the TT and the shed base can rest on the foam.
I do that around yard tracks and spurs and taper it off when it gets out onto the mains so the roadbed looks higher out there.
I already have the doors that I bought from Rail Scale Models. That way, I only have to do a little scratch building instead of a lot.
I just added this after I posted it before:  
I just bought one off EBay for $24 with free shipping so that was a pretty good deal to me. We shall see how it works.
The guy from Rail Scale Models offered to custom design me one and print it off like he did with the doors. If the bridge doesn't work out, I might go that route.
Feel like a Mogul.