News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Red Comet Chassis Upgrade

Started by NYC5405Hudson, June 17, 2019, 11:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYC5405Hudson

Last year I posted some questions about the 4-6-0 Red Comet I had.  I finally ordered the new chassis and have almost everything disassembled and I have a few questions.

1) The new chassis has two switches where the old chassis only had one.  I was going to just replace the smoke box cover with one that had slots for both switches but they are out of stock.  Would it be a problem to only install the one switch for the smoke unit and leave the direction switch loose inside?  I only plan on running it on the oval track that it came with so its not like I'm going to be doing anything fancy with it.

2) Is there a way to avoid re-soldering the wires for the light besides just cutting and leaving them loose?

3) The back of the new chassis has two plugs.  The tender only has one cord for the sound.  Why do the new ones have two and what is the best way to modify the shell to accommodate the second plug?

Thanks,

Mark Sumner

Loco Bill Canelos

mark,

Q1  No problem at all.

Q2  None that I know of, soldering is best but you could use some mini wire connectors.

Q3 Most likely you bought an Anniversary edition chassis. One plug is for the sound, and the other is for the operating rear headlight on an Annie tender. Since your Red Comet tender has a dummy headlight you will not need the second plug, unless you would like to have an operating rear headlight.

Have fun,

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

NYC5405Hudson

Thanks Bill,

I got it all reassembled (except for the headlight wires because I'm waiting for my soldering iron to come in) but everything is working perfectly and the train looks great!  As it turns out, the shell fits right over the additional plug in the back so I did not need to cut a second hole for the additional plug.  I tried to attach a picture of the locomotive with the new chassis but it kept on saying that the file was too large (even though it was only 67kb)  Thanks for all of your help and advice!

Loco Bill Canelos

Mark,

To post a photo here you have to use a third party image hosting app, then use the url from there and paste it here.

Glad you got the loco running again, and that all went well!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!