News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New 4 6 2

Started by Frank6926, June 21, 2019, 08:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank6926

Just received my new Pacific 4 6 2 dcc with sound. I am running it on straight DC power. Lots of problems. Is it possible the drive wheel flanges are bigger round then an older Bachmann steamer? There are sections on my layout it looks like the engine is bumping down the track. It also looks like it may be having trouble with the flangeways in a peco medium turnout. Also are these engines power hungry?
Thanks, Frank

jonathan

Frank,

A sound-onboard DCC loco is indeed power hungry on a DC layout.  It requires somewhere around 5 volts just to start moving. This is normal.

Flanges are the usual size. However, 4-6-2 drivers are bigger than most steamers. Shouldn't cause any problems. I would check the connector wires between the loco and tender. They may be hanging low and "bumping" or grounding as the loco moves.  Adjusting those wires is a normal procedures, just be gentle as a broken wire can be frustrating to fix. The tender itself sometimes requires a little extra weight to prevent track jumping. Make sure your coupler trip pins are not too low while you're at it.

As for turnouts, check the lead/pony truck. It is normal to have to adjust the truck weight (make it heavier) and/or re-gage the pony truck wheels. Not too difficult to perform, with a little practice, and a wheel gage.

Again, this is all normal stuff, as most locos require a little tweaking when new.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Oh, one more thing to check:

Sometimes, during shipping, the crosshead guides can get a little squeezed inward.  If you notice any drive rods bumping the crosshead guides, the guides may need a very, VERY, gentle spreading outwards.  This is a sometimes thing.  I would look there last.  Just sayin'

Jonathan

rich1998

The microprocessor requires five volts just to wake up. Same amount of power. Not more.  Voltage and power are different but related. Google both. Digital electronics operates at five volts DC in the decoder. The loco, maybe two volts more to begin to move. I have seen this in many forums. Not unusual. You would never notice that when running in DCC.

Rich

Frank6926

I need to thank Johnathan. A few things to tweak. This afternoon or tomorrow. I forgot about the wires hanging down.

Frank6926

Well I give up. There must be something wrong with this engine. Thought I was being smart when I bought it in Canada from a place called Hobby Wholesale. Wrong. I have asked them to replace it, but they say they dont have another one!!! I will send it back to them and hope for a refund.  I did take delivery from Bachmann of the same type engine except it is a 2 8 0. Runs like a charm.
I was trying to support a Canadian supplier but I won't do that again. $400 Canadian in jeopardy.