News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N Baldwin 2-8-0 #51352 running erratically

Started by jbm3238, May 02, 2019, 05:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbm3238

I have had this unit for less than a year and lately it is running erratically. This just started after the layout sat dormant for 3 weeks while I was away.

All other locos are running fine. Tried a DD40AX at almost "creep" speed and it ran fine.
Symptom is that every couple of seconds it randomly stops and all I do is increase or decrease the throttle and it starts up again. It even happens with the throttle moved to get it started again. So it's not just happening at one speed setting. It doesn't happen in the same spots - just every so often. I'm wondering if anyone else had had this issue. When it runs it is a great looking & sounding loco.
Just FYI, I run Digitrax Zephyr+ and JMRI. I haven't setup the the decoder yet - still running as "03".
Again, it had been running fine!

Thx in advance.
JB

I could create a video of the issue it that would help - BTW are videos allowed as attachments?

spookshow

Clean the track, clean the wheels, clean axle wiper dimples where the tender truck axle ends insert, clean the drawbar contacts where they rub up against the chassis post on the engine, clean the tips of the tender truck contacts and clean the contact strips inside the tender that said tips brush up against. In short, clean everything that transfers current  ;D

-Mark

jbm3238

That makes sense - guess I didn't think of that since it's so new - will do.
Thank you!
JB

spookshow

Contamination happens sooner or later with every loco. Weather changes can accelerate the process (like if you live in an area where the humidity rises along with the spring temps).

-Mark

Maletrain

Mark, Have you ever tried some of those conductivity-enhancing coatings on those surfaces.  Some, like "Never-stall" are greasy, and might catch dust and still allow a stall.  But there is also "Neolube",which produces a dry graphite surface that conducts.  But, does that wear off?

jbm3238

OK now I hope this doesn't open a heated discussion, but what do you recommend I use to "clean everything"?

I'm thinking Isopropal alcohol?

spookshow

Quote from: Maletrain on May 03, 2019, 09:38:55 AM
Mark, Have you ever tried some of those conductivity-enhancing coatings on those surfaces.  Some, like "Never-stall" are greasy, and might catch dust and still allow a stall.  But there is also "Neolube",which produces a dry graphite surface that conducts.  But, does that wear off?

I sometimes use conductalube for moving parts (like axle-ends). I've never tried Neolube, though.

-Mark

spookshow

Quote from: jbm3238 on May 03, 2019, 12:22:59 PM
OK now I hope this doesn't open a heated discussion, but what do you recommend I use to "clean everything"?

I'm thinking Isopropal alcohol?

Isopropal does the job for me.

-Mark

jbm3238

FWIW

I found this in an email from one of the groups I belong to:
Allan Gartner's Wiring for DCC Question and Answer Forum - Digest #175

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh2019-05/publishers-musings

Good reference & a lot of info / discussion in the comments.

jbm3238

Well after I received a new diesel engine - it ran erratically right out of the box. On a recent road trip to Florida, I stopped at the Broadway Limited offices and got a suggestion. She said to try it W/O JMRI - just run from the Zephyr & all is fine.  Even the Baldwin rund great.

SOOOOOOOO - it boils down to MY ERROR!!! When I tried just the Zephyr, I noticed the loco address was set to "03" just as the new engines were as I hadn't assigned the loco # to the decoder - I was waiting until they worked fine.

This means that because JMRI & Zephyr are both sending commands to address "03". A conflict! And when I changed speed on the JMRI throttle the engine started to go again until Zephyr sent a conflict packet!

I guess this is one of my rookie ??? errors and maybe every one else never gets into this situation.

Anyway - thx for all the replies, trying to help.

Maybe this will help someone else - too!
Moral - assign those loco numbers right away!

JB